Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bees, Apiaries, Mead, Wax and You!  (Read 3748 times)

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bees, Apiaries, Mead, Wax and You!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2022, 09:52:28 am »

I think “below the level of the simulation” is a poor argument for opposing a suggestion.
"I find that this idea (temporary wax tablets and transcription) adds to the computational complexity of the simulation without adding any clear benefit to the player or the verisimilitude of the simulation and as such should remain in the ephemeral sphere of events and items not directly simulated that surrounds any non-subatomic-particle-accurate computer simulation due to the limits of processing power and time for developers to implement until such future time as we're all enjoying the product remotely via rectangular black monoliths using our brains."

I hope that was a clearer and more articulate description of my objection. I'm not certain the additional verbiage adds to it, but it's not an argument - if you think dwarves taking temporary notes for transcription adds something, by all means, let's hear it. Otherwise, I'm not seeing the benefits to adding another layer of dwarf work into the dwarf work which adds more computer work to do something that already exists and is already one of the fundamental drivers of pathfinding. That means more pathfinding checks (which DF does not need) and more intermediate items to track (which is a lesser issue) for... what, exactly?

Closer mapping to how notes were taken before there were erasers for a simulation that already has bound paper books (but no inks) and never considers in any context how mistakes are corrected in the first place? It's not where I'd prefer to see Toady spend his development time, but everyone's got their fetish, I suppose.

It’s essentially saying that a suggestion shouldn’t ever be implemented in the game because it’s prerequisites are currently absent.
No, I just don't think that it's a good add for the game. Missing prerequisites are irrelevant. Tracking and calculating light radii on dwarves moving around and carrying candles would give dwarves all sorts of reasons to need wax, and it'd probably be awesome visually to see them moving around in a multi-level view while that happened but it would not be good for the game's performance, either.

This is a forum for suggestions related to the game’s development.
I hadn't noticed. Thank you for patronizing me so thoroughly. It might have slipped my attention where I'd posted the thread otherwise. End of the day, what Toady implements is his call - but keeping this suggestion small enough to be readily packaged within the current development framework and timeline is more centrally my focus than entertaining every potential dangling development thread to chase in another three decades.
Pages: 1 [2]