Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing with bandits  (Read 758 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with bandits
« on: July 20, 2022, 02:50:04 am »

After reading this post, consulting the wiki, and considering that the “Law & Order” arc probably won’t be coming anytime soon, I’ve decided to submit this proposal:

I propose that two (2) new mission types be added to the game:  “Exterminate Inhabitants”, and “Exterminate Inhabitants  & Raze”.

Squads carrying out an “Exterminate Inhabitants” mission, would seek to kill all the inhabitants of the selected site, while squads carrying out an “Exterminate Inhabitants & Raze” mission would also destroy the site.

Furthermore, I propose that these types of attacks should also be available to be carried out by various parties during worldgen.

I’m primarily suggesting this as a way of addressing the over-abundance of bandits (at least as a stop-gap until the “Law & Order” arc), but I expect that it could be used for other, “less savory”, things as well…

Finally, I’d like to note that, if my understanding is correct, an “Exterminate Inhabitants” mission is essentially what invaders are doing when they invade your fort.  Interesting.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with bandits
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 07:41:57 am »

A more aggressive raze can already be achieved by [ABUSE_BODIES] civ token which puts all captive civilians not otherwise spared by slavery to a enormous amount of fatal torture reducing the site population of anybody who hasn't fled beforehand to 0. Raze itself is very soft, right now in the game and doesnt have the pernamency of turning sites into ruins with refugee resettlement meaning just aggressively pillaging it until its weak enough to conquer is always the preferable option.
  • A alternative i think would be to put a timer of a year or 2 to let the dust settle, as in real life people go back to gather their belongings but you can't really stay at a inhospitable burnt out place.
On bandits specifically, its a high chance it'll get fixed due to how much its being spoken about, but its simply better to remove them from the RAWS in the current version. Destroying bandits is essentially requiring a civ wide genocide (hard enough as it is) because bandits are sourced from a "Tithe" of nonhistoricals who just restaff small static bandit forts and whatnot constantly.

Least my own issue reports and testing have proven that forts & castles arent a real site (transfers to the player directly with no administrator, Ai very rarely goes to conquer 1 in a 100 attempts) either and really shouldnt be visible or should be reworked. AI wise it might be smart if a high justice civ goes out to arrest everyone in the fort, or summarily executes and auctions the fort off (which might get bought up by another bandit camp, mercs or these witch hunters for next version).

So then the player can clean these out, and have it as a hub for contacting the new groups they allow in.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 07:44:08 am by FantasticDorf »