Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abandoned Fortress Monster Takeover  (Read 1222 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Abandoned Fortress Monster Takeover
« on: June 02, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »

The second fortress I made in my current world, Helmsbane, lay abandoned for six years before I went there in adventure mode.  When I got there, it had been taken over by ratmen, antmen, and a very nasty giant cave spider I've mentioned in other threads.  The first fortress I made, Woundsplatters, which had been abandoned since 1051, and probably hadn't been touched in at least 8 years, was eerily silent and completely devoid of life(Except Fire Imps in the magma pit, they burnt my face off).

What determines whether or not creatures move in?  I'm 90% sure there was no chasm in Helmsbane, and I can't think of any other reasons for creatures to be there, but not Woundsplatters.

Shoes...

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abandoned Fortress Monster Takeover
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »

That's not a good world for me...

I think creatures just start spawning after a short time.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

Is the time random?  Woundsplatters had been abandoned a lot longer than Helmsbane, but only Helmsbane had monsters.
Shoes...

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »

I think it depends on the biome (evil, savage) and what things are native to the area.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 02:08:00 pm »

Mm, maybe I'll start in an evil marsh or something scary.
Shoes...

kamikazemoose

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 04:05:00 am »

You mentioned it was abandoned in 1051, maybe you hadn't done enough for them to be interrested in settling there. (I've only done one reclaim and that was in the second year (and there was nothing there) so I'm not sure.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »

Not quite sure here, I don't think the fort's value has much to do with it. I've had games where I had a lot of platinum shit lying around and went to reclaim, nothing really there so far as monsters. Or animals at all really.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Miles:
<STRONG>Not quite sure here, I don't think the fort's value has much to do with it. I've had games where I had a lot of platinum shit lying around and went to reclaim, nothing really there so far as monsters. Or animals at all really.</STRONG>

barrels of dwarven hooch left laying around?

they've been known to go south and poison the whole biome  :p

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 01:27:00 am »

I had a fortress which I liked, so I save-scummed a working version and an adventure version, 'though I couldn't explore that far because of a GCS among other things. Then, after my fortress got some more engravings, I did it again and this time my fortress had zip, apart from those occasional "An -man has fallen into a deep chasm" messages that you get on every map with a chasm.
Now nothing had changed for the biomes, and the only construction that could be of interest I can think of is a bridge over a chasm.
So it may be purely random.