Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gender-Specific names?  (Read 1593 times)

Bjorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gender-Specific names?
« on: May 09, 2022, 02:44:00 pm »

I am thinking of modding my game to have gender-specific real world names for my dwarves. I think it'll make it easier to remember them and will make it easier for me to immediately know who is male and who is female, which is nice and occasionally useful (e.g. to help match-making so as to form families). Is there any way to make dwarven names gender specific?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Gender-Specific names?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 04:03:48 pm »

Is there any way to make dwarven names gender specific?
No.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Bjorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 05:47:53 pm »

No.

That's a pity to hear. Thanks anyway for the information, mate! Hope Toady one day implements that (or makes it moddable), would help with immersion

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 07:59:05 pm »

make it easier for me to immediately know who is male and who is female, which is nice and occasionally useful (e.g. to help match-making so as to form families)
This probably isn't the cleanest solution, but Dwarf Therapist would be helpful for this if you haven't already gotten it, I assume you already checked that out if you're delving into modding tho

Bjorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 03:02:00 pm »

make it easier for me to immediately know who is male and who is female, which is nice and occasionally useful (e.g. to help match-making so as to form families)
This probably isn't the cleanest solution, but Dwarf Therapist would be helpful for this if you haven't already gotten it, I assume you already checked that out if you're delving into modding tho

I'm very amateur at modding so I don't know how Dwarf Therapist can be used to provide this feature. How does that work? I thought it was only used for general fortress management.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 06:50:08 pm »

As far as I'm aware, the only thing Dwarf Therapist would let you do here is assign custom nicknames to your dwarves, but that's hardly a unique feature because the vanilla game lets you do the same thing.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 09:15:23 pm »

There's some way to display a sex/gender symbol before the names
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Bjorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 10:34:49 am »

Thank you guys for all the answers! Yeah, it isn't exactly what I wanted, but maybe one day Toady One will implement CASTE specific name lists. Although he definitely has a lot more important features to work on lol