Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Houses of Ater: Part one - The End of an Age  (Read 1036 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Houses of Ater: Part one - The End of an Age
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2022, 03:02:52 pm »

What is the point of declaring oneself for one of the houses? Other than being a ruler, of course.
You get to vote on what actions that House takes. Basically like declaring for a team in a normal Arms Race.

Ideas for research/infrastructure.

1. A neutral trade city/port/station built in the Rift, underneath Leviathan City? Could be ruled by a council of the three houses. Could be replaced by expanded docks for Leviathan, but could be a potential good place for a conjoined greater capital.

2.Trade Submarines. With a peace comes opportunity, so larger trading subs take to the seas. I imagine could either go actual larger subs, or maybe go for maybe a tug boat pulling sealed containers through the depths.

3.(Greater)Factories. House owned and operated, they can fill entire caverns with their ponderous machines and turbines. I imagine would give a boost to production and economy. Useful to eventually help produce the things to realize our goals.

Goals? That’s a whole another conversation but I’m leaning towards achieving space flight.
Trade submarines are likely a minor research, more or bigger factories is likely a standard build infrastructure, and I suspect a neutral nexus city would be prototype infrastructure? It may also not really be accessible to House Titan. One idea it gives me, though, is the potential to make “artificial bubbles” suspended within the water layer, and which would allow easier transport between the first ring and those above it (and may result in an, uh, one-and-a-halfth ring?).

That’d definitely be a major research, though, and maybe not appropriate from a setting perspective at this point in time. We just founded House Sky.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2022, 03:04:52 pm »

I shall join House Sky
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2022, 03:39:04 pm »

Do we need to research infrastructure before we prototype it? If so, is it possible to retrofit existing non-infrastructure technology (eg, steam subs) into infrastructure without research?

Prototyping production (stuff or infa) is just an elevated cost for the first time you use a tech you have already researched. Prototyping is not research in it of itself.

Infrastructure is a plan for building or systemic application of tech you already have. It does not take research to acquire that plan unless it includes tech you don't already have. The actual effects of an infrastructure project are subjective, and I may or may not assign a roll for it depending on my interpretations.

Whether an infrastructure is a prototype or normal production is just if the same infrastructure exists elsewhere on the planet already. The first time you, say, build a dedicated fleet of trade subs for a house, that will be a prototype. If another house then builds it again (or, contracts house titan to build another fleet for them) it will just cost the normal amount. Infra projects may have different effects depending on the ring they are built on. For example, trade subs wouldn't provide much of an effect if build on the third ring. :p

Ifra projects must belong to a single house at any given time. Your trade fleet would be entirely under the command of a single house and they alone would reap all benefits, unless another separate fleet is built for the other house. Think of this as a limitation of a single authority they must answer to.
This doesn't mean you cant share infrastructure. Remember, You can trade anything that you own at the end of the turn so you could pass command of the fleet (and the benefits it brings) back and fourth, but its up to you to work out the terms and conditions for that amongst yourselves.

What is the point of declaring oneself for one of the houses? Other than being a ruler, of course.

You get to vote on what actions that House takes. Basically like declaring for a team in a normal Arms Race.

Thank you Glass. ^-^

Trade submarines are likely a minor research, more or bigger factories is likely a standard build infrastructure, and I suspect a neutral nexus city would be prototype infrastructure? It may also not really be accessible to House Titan. One idea it gives me, though, is the potential to make “artificial bubbles” suspended within the water layer, and which would allow easier transport between the first ring and those above it (and may result in an, uh, one-and-a-halfth ring?).

Correct on the first count. You are just repurposing tech you already have in this case. Minor tech revision.

More or bigger factories would need to be more specific. How are you going to make them bigger? Where are you going to build more at? Your world has already industrialized, there's no low hanging fruit here. If you are going to use new tech to achieve this you'll need the tech first, and then it will be a prototype infrastructure to build since you are making something new.
I'm open to considering creative solutions here that don't use new tech, but you'll need to justify it somehow and I reserve the right to make it a roll if I'm not entirely convinced.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2022, 04:16:37 pm »

All right, my first proposal is for a major research: elevators.
A pressurized cabin on a fixed track, using buoyancy or a winch to move, would serve as a train-like connection between the rings that could be made to work through both the water and the ice. Although an elevator immersed in water has a limited potential speed, it seems like it would be simpler than building an evacuated tube for the elevator to run in, so that can be a later improvement.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2022, 04:57:13 pm »

All right, my first proposal is for a major research: elevators.
A pressurized cabin on a fixed track, using buoyancy or a winch to move, would serve as a train-like connection between the rings that could be made to work through both the water and the ice. Although an elevator immersed in water has a limited potential speed, it seems like it would be simpler than building an evacuated tube for the elevator to run in, so that can be a later improvement.

Hmm I would say that would be more useful for crossing the ice layer, but I’ve come around on thinking that submarine travel might be more effective for a while. But along those lines, it might be worthwhile to design Ice Borers to make tunnels through the ice. Right now I think we have the one entry onto the surface? It might be worthwhile to make more.

Minor Research: (-1 Economy, -1 Science)
Quote from: Trade Tug Subs
The Trade Tug Subs travel through the depths of Ater, pulling a matrix of hundreds of containers. Slow and steady, they maintain the material connection between the cities of the first and second ring.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2022, 05:06:50 am »

I would like to propose selectively breeding skyweed to be a backup food source. How far back is this going to set us?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2022, 01:14:10 am »

Calling this one on lack of interest.

Im gonna try a simpler/more accessible game next, and shelve the idea. Maybe loop back to this thing another time or in a different context. Thanks to those that did post ^-^
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 [2]