Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding AWOL quest creatures  (Read 812 times)

Doctor Lucky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding AWOL quest creatures
« on: March 12, 2008, 02:21:00 am »

I've been struggling to find a bronze colossus quest target lately.  His home was a very large cave system which took me a few passes to clear out from top to bottom, but no colossus.  I eventually gave up and did a few quests elsewhere.  On my way back through, I dropped in again, but no joy.

But then I noticed a - symbol on the world map.  I looked it up on the wiki, thinking it was a cloud or mist effect, but it said "migrants".

Aha.

Turns out it was also in mountains, so I couldn't just visit, but I decided to walk into the tile from the adjacent one.  Once there, I popped back to the world map and then hit '>' to go back in.  Sure enough, it gave 'creature' as an option.

It was the colossus.

So, if you're at your wits end to find a missing critter, try looking for migrants on the map.  Worked for me.

Okay, now I'm about to fight him!  Yay!  My first colossus!  Lets see if I can wrestle him!

"Frankly, I think the odds are slightly in your favor at hand fighting."
"It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise."

[Edit] "Sleep well, and dream of large women."
(After breaking most of his joints and crippling his shoulder, I resorted to bludgeoning him to death with an alder sword.  Took a long bloody while.)

DoctorLucky

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: Doctor Lucky ]

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding AWOL quest creatures
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »

this is good to know thank you   :p
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

vilehermit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »

i had exactly the same problem... literally, damn bronze colossi

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

I had the opposite problem.

After finishing up yet another puny human town, me and my boys, The Black Mercenaries decided to go look for trouble in a nearby cave. The moment we entered, some big dark voice announces that he's gonna kick our ass and make us weep for our mommies. This doesn't please us none, so we jump in, the 5 of us (one swordsdwarf, one named merchant, one named drunk, one axedwarf, one speardwarf)and make our dramatic poses.

And then we see a Great Old One.

2 minutes later I'm hanging onto my sword which is sticking onto his right wing trying to pry it off while he slowly rips apart my last comrade before slicing my torso off my body with one whack.

Doctor Lucky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 04:25:00 am »

Huh.

Anyone have any tips on finding toughies to fight?  I'm interested in seeing how well a trained-up dwarf compares to the various megabeasts.

But I'm not able to efficiently find opponents.  I tend to ask for quests at all the towns and cities, typically of the mayor and/or the king.  Most often they're just for semi-megas or goblin/kobold fighters.  I've only found three moderately tough critters:  The bronze colossus, who managed to tire me a bit, a modest swarm of tentacle demons, which didn't, and one fire-breathing demon, who scorched me some.

A great old one sounds like just the thing.

Doctor Lucky

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 04:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Lucky:
<STRONG>Huh.

Anyone have any tips on finding toughies to fight?  I'm interested in seeing how well a trained-up dwarf compares to the various megabeasts.

But I'm not able to efficiently find opponents.  I tend to ask for quests at all the towns and cities, typically of the mayor and/or the king.  Most often they're just for semi-megas or goblin/kobold fighters.  I've only found three moderately tough critters:  The bronze colossus, who managed to tire me a bit, a modest swarm of tentacle demons, which didn't, and one fire-breathing demon, who scorched me some.

A great old one sounds like just the thing.

Doctor Lucky</STRONG>

The Great Old One is a modded creature I got from Wiles Modpack. Got lots of other cool stuff in there to increase the variety of your game too such as zombie firebreathing wyverns, chimeras, etc.