Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mass-Designate Priority Changes  (Read 1144 times)

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
Mass-Designate Priority Changes
« on: January 26, 2016, 06:01:52 pm »

Okay, to get down to it:

-Add a new designation whose sole function is to change priority levels
-This new designation type wouldn't delete or add space to current designations, only change their levels

Example: You design a complex bedroom level for your dwarves, but then realize you have several mineshafts designated to be mined at a higher priority, for whatever reason. However, you can now simply correct this situation by using 'd'->'Shift+P' (or whatever you have the keybinding for priority change set to). Select the areas of the fortress whose designations levels you want to change, and voila! You changed the level 4 priority of your bedrooms to level 2, so now your miners will set off and finish carving their bedrooms before mining for wealth.

Thoughts?

jobywalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mass-Designate Priority Changes
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 07:28:06 pm »

This would be a massive help to me when guiding the construction of multilevel forts. Dwarves are very inefficient now when there is a multi-z level block at the same priority -- they just up and down vertically.  So to keep things efficient I need to designate floor by floor with different priorities.  It would be much easier if I could designate everything then change the priorities appropriately.

MichaelB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 08:39:59 pm »

I love this idea but I would prefer to have it increment or decrement the priority instead.

To use your bedroom example. If I have the corridors designated as 4 and the bedrooms designated as 5 I can simply increment the whole area (multiple times if needed) and the corridors will still be a higher priority than the rooms. 

It could get weird if priorities wrap around between 1 and 7 but that should be fairly easy to work around.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 09:16:53 pm »

I love this idea but I would prefer to have it increment or decrement the priority instead.

To use your bedroom example. If I have the corridors designated as 4 and the bedrooms designated as 5 I can simply increment the whole area (multiple times if needed) and the corridors will still be a higher priority than the rooms. 

It could get weird if priorities wrap around between 1 and 7 but that should be fairly easy to work around.

Maybe it could have a function where the designation type changes, like how mining has automine ores, mine all, etc?
That way it could swap between increment mode and set-to mode

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 04:47:11 am »

I support this suggestion.  I just had to deal with this problem at a fairly small scale, and can't imagine how much of a pain it would be if it were significantly larger.

How do i use sigtext properly?