Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird Things To Use As Weapons  (Read 1429 times)

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
Weird Things To Use As Weapons
« on: May 08, 2022, 11:24:58 am »

Despite the fact I have over 100 good quality iron battle axes and maces laying unclaimed around my fortress, this dork decides to fight a troll with an encrusted glass figurine instead.
  Have you ever encountered any of your dwarves using odd-ball weapons before?

Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Things To Use As Weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 06:54:00 pm »

Despite the fact I have over 100 good quality iron battle axes and maces laying unclaimed around my fortress, this dork decides to fight a troll with an encrusted glass figurine instead.
  Have you ever encountered any of your dwarves using odd-ball weapons before?

Does he have the Misc. Object User skill?  I'm not sure, but it might increase the likelihood of using such an object.  Dwarves also tend to use whatever object they have in their hands if a fight starts, which is why so many tavern fights involve goblets.

I had a poet go berserk in the tavern and beat someone to death with a book of poetry he'd written.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 06:57:08 pm by muldrake »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 08:09:23 pm »

I've got a few, including one similar to yours.

• I'd had a guy kill some Oba from Zombies Ate my Dwarves with a sandstone figurine before.
  • I've seen a werecreature use pilfered trousers to beat my citizens mercilessly (and thankfully not bite them instead since they had a "weapon.")
  • There was also this time I was attacked by what appeared to be honest to god bandits before (it was considered a siege, didn't register a new civ on ym civ screen and the crew was a mix of mostly poorly armed and armored guys.) One of them was apparently their bard and he tried to fight a swordsdwarf with his instrument by bashing him with it.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 10:22:57 pm »

• There was also this time I was attacked by what appeared to be honest to god bandits before (it was considered a siege, didn't register a new civ on ym civ screen and the crew was a mix of mostly poorly armed and armored guys.) One of them was apparently their bard and he tried to fight a swordsdwarf with his instrument by bashing him with it.
    I think there are such things.  There are groups that are actually not connected to a civilization, like outcasts and brigands.  Sometimes you'll see a city nominally connected to your civilization but it's packed with outcasts.  I haven't seen any of these personally, maybe because I usually camp next to something I'm at war with and those guys show up, but they show up in history.

I've had a ridiculous number of those "raids" where some units show up from something I'm nominally at war with on the corner of the map and then just move off somewhere else immediately.

As for weird weapons, for some reason, bronze colossi seem to like using absolutely ridiculous stuff like a single artifact glove to beat people to death.  They remind me of the Ginosaji from "The Horribly Slow Murderer with the Extremely Inefficient Weapon."

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
    • Vixen.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 05:08:10 am »

On one occasion an artifact spiked thong was used as a bludgeoning weapon in a game of mine, to no great effect. Being Aussie, I choose to assume the thong is in fact a sandal, even though I know you yanks use the word for something else...

An amazing number of mugs/cups/goblets get used as a weapon as has been said. What impresses me is how they often remain full of liquid after being used to knock a fellow dwarfs teeth out or hammer an arm off at the shoulder. Perhaps they are lidded tankards?
    Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
    Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
    "Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
    Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 11:09:36 am »

Dwarfs use most of the things they carry around, including crutches. They do seem to like using figurines, like this dwarf...
    Quote from: dragdeler
    There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
    • ~ Cancels Everything ~
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 02:29:26 pm »

I decided to look up Erush Lulledfloors ... became queen of my civilization at age of 22 in the year 212.
    Things get very odd with her love life. She had many MANY lovers, including her first goblin in the year 257 ( 5 goblin lovers total )  and her first elf lover in year 261. A lot of marriages, and a lot of divorces. Had no children.

She was in 5 named battles during her life,  not striking down any named individuals.

Why would any dwarf ever bother carving her likeness into glass ?
    Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
    • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 04:53:09 pm »

Hey, it got Alma Mahler Gropius Werfel immortalized in song.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • Does not suffer fools gladly
      • View Profile
      • QMT Productions
    « Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 06:55:54 pm »

In the epic tale of Headshoots (which took place back in version 0.28.181.40d), the Legendary+22 Axedwarf HolisticDetective preferred to beat her foes to death using a ≡giant rat leather backpack≡ (and was a Legendary+62 Wrestler as a result).
    P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
    It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
    It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 03:01:06 pm »

I decided to look up Erush Lulledfloors ...

Why would any dwarf ever bother carving her likeness into glass ?

Does the figurine have her doing anything in particular ?

As for odd weapons... I once had a cyclops show up with a named pair of trousers, sized for elfs.  :o