Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambition system  (Read 664 times)

Deno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ambition system
« on: April 17, 2022, 09:19:23 am »

I had an idea for an ambition system to replace the goals that characters can have in the current game. The idea is to separate mayor ambitions, which would be more long term goals and should be limited to one at a time, and minor ambitions, which would be easier and more short term goals that may or may not be related to the current mayor ambition. These could be limited to up to 3 at the same time, giving characters some variety in what they are currently working on in their lives.

Examples for mayor ambitions would be many of the current goals like immortality or mastering a skill.

Minor ambitions related to that could be stuff, for example, learning magic or becomming a disciple to a necromancer if you want immortality. Or if your mayor ambition is to master a skill, you could have a minor ambition for reaching a lower skill level first, finding a mentor, or accomplishing a great deed with that skill.

Minor ambitions could also be used to encourage social stuff, which is currently kind of underwhelming in both game modes. For example a dwarf could have the minor ambition to make a friend/rival, interact with friend/rival, duell a rival, make a lover, get married, have a son/daughter, have 3/5/10 children, stuff like that. I feel like currently in fort mode, marriage and making kids is not common enough, so your population ends up relying to much on migrants. Using minor ambitions could make dwarfs go out of their way to socialize, solving that and making you fort feel more alive.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ambition system
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 02:38:16 pm »

For a moment I didn't know whether you typoed "major ambitions" (to "mayor") or "miner ambitions" (to "minor")... Correcting it either way would be fairly sensible... ;)

I don't think this is a replacement system for the current goals. Either by expanding the elements of the existing system or by expanding the existing system to allow such elements I think you're suggesting (significant but not outlandish) tweaks to how the current psychological elements of each dwarf works out.

Which is not to say that it doesn't need to be discussed.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 05:19:40 pm »

There already is an ambition personality stat that seems to govern how high your social status desire is and how many sites you want to have.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 03:16:14 pm »

And could such long term ambitions be related to short term ones? For exemple someone would first want to learn to read to be able to read the secrets of life and death.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."