Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I thought I could find my old dwarves...  (Read 1499 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I thought I could find my old dwarves...
« on: March 07, 2008, 02:38:00 am »

:D

Edit: Has anyone ever played "Super Mario Bros 2"? I'm not sure if this is too much of a stretch, but picking up a plump helmet barrel and throwing six of the contents at a giant eagle was extremely nostalgic for some reason...

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: I thought I could find my old dwarves...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

Abandoned fortresses (For death reasons or not) will not have any dwarves in them for Adventure mode.  However, if they were alive, you can reclaim it in Fortress mode and they'll be back, even if they weren't when you went in Adventure...  Weird...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 08:30:00 pm »

I abandoned a fort that I had been building inside a human town (it wasn't really a fort, I was making a house for my adventurer) and when I spawned in it (as said adventurer) one dwarf was sticking around. He didn't have much to say. Just "ask me when I return to my home!" oddly, when I was building that fort, a herd of rampaging horses stormed through town, being chased by children. A few peasants bit it, and when I looked up on the top floor of the big castle-y thing there were socks and trousers EVERYWHERE. Plus the previously mentioned dwarf. I then hit him in the head with a sock and promptly got my head chopped off (perhaps I shouldn't have been messing with a woodcutter, eh?)
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

You might be surprised when you find your old troupe of dwarves living happily among elves and humans in their capital.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 12:28:00 am »

Yikes. That'll be scary. There are some vicious ones amongst them; Legendary Weaponsmith, Metalcrafter, two Legendary Miners and an Engraver. Wish I could bring them to the next fort I make; figures I get my Legendary Weaponsmith when I have no magma, no trees, no charcoal and all Limestone.

quote:
and when I looked up on the top floor of the big castle-y thing there were socks and trousers EVERYWHERE.

Somewhere in that city there must be a ton of half naked humans running around, doing Armok-knows-what...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 12:28:00 am »

I've found the starting seven dwarves from abandoned test-sites wandering around the map as migrant groups.  I can even ask the if they have any quests for me, and promptly direct me towards the expedition leader for any tasks.

Unfortunately, since it's a fairly scattered group, I haven't found any of the leaders.  I don't know if they'd actually have a quest for me or not.

They were nowhere near where their forts had been abandoned.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 01:35:00 am »

One time I made a huuge fort...I would say my third biggest. It had a giant tower and a moat and every thing. All my dwarves were there as far as I could see..They were fighting casm monsters even though I never actauly made it to the casm.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 03:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mulch Diggums:
<STRONG>One time I made a huuge fort...I would say my third biggest. It had a giant tower and a moat and every thing. All my dwarves were there as far as I could see..They were fighting casm monsters even though I never actauly made it to the casm.</STRONG>
Yup. If you run back fast enough, all your fellows will be still there, being eaten by giant cave spiders and cave trolls. It's really the best time to recruit every single one of your legendary military dwarves since they're all gathered in one spot.

... though there's the problem with you not having enough fame and them farting their pompous arses in your face.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 04:39:00 am »

How is it that my abandoned fortresses never have any vile monsters ripe for slaying?

My theory for why the old dwarves are there in reclaim mode but not adventure is the old dwarves come back to watch what you do.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

i remember abandoning my best ever fortress, 100 dwarves, nobles, the works, and then going back to adventure it, i found a few troglydites, ratmen, frogmen, and giant olms, (it had a cave river and chasm, both integrated into my fortress)

but a few dwarf corpses, no living ones, saddened, i travelled to the nearest elf retreat to kill a few, where i came across: all my stoneworkers, military dwarves, children, and some metalworkers, (50+ dwarves)

i was chuffed.

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 10:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I've found the starting seven dwarves from abandoned test-sites wandering around the map as migrant groups.  I can even ask the if they have any quests for me, and promptly direct me towards the expedition leader for any tasks.

Unfortunately, since it's a fairly scattered group, I haven't found any of the leaders.  I don't know if they'd actually have a quest for me or not.

They were nowhere near where their forts had been abandoned.</STRONG>

Last night I ran into a group like this, maybe ten Travel steps away from their old fortress. Unfortunately, the mayor just said to ask again when he was home.

The funny thing is, a few of them still had the "babbling" flashy blue !, but talked to me totally coherently about how their children were eaten by goblins or whatever.

I killed someone and was surprised by the apparently newfound competence of my fortress guard.

You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.