Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two handed weapons and travelling.  (Read 1446 times)

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
Two handed weapons and travelling.
« on: May 01, 2008, 08:33:00 am »

I started out my latest adventurer (after the last suffered an embarressing end grappled by unarmed priests) with a two handed sword....and a shield.

I saught out the closest shop and sold them my shield for a bit of realism, trying to exchange it for a  backup weapon, largely for tossing at things. For some reason, the blasted shopkeeper took my shield and didn't give me the sword. Grr.

Anyway, I took off into the desert with just the sword. A cheetah attacked me.

The cheetah bites You in the left lower leg!
The shot glances away.
You charge at The cheetah!
You hack at The cheetah in the lower body with your Iron two-handed sword!
It is mangled!
The cheetah is propelled away by the force of the blow!
The cheetah gives in to pain.
You hack at The cheetah in the upper body with your Iron two-handed sword!
It is cloven asunder!
The cheetah is propelled away by the force of the blow!
The cheetah has been struck down.
You pick up the cheetah corpse with your left hand.

I guess the two-handed bit is just for show right now? :P

Also, when travelling, how the devil do you get out of it? I was only able to exit from it on three occasions when I was attacked by a grand total of two cheetahs and a lion, which I summarily executed with thrown rocks, turtles and my sword when I ran out.

I think I forgot to pick up my turtles...

Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two handed weapons and travelling.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 08:35:00 am »

>   :)

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 08:53:00 am »

Ok I didn't understand your post, but then I saw it was > in another part of the wiki that I'd neglected to read. D'oh! Thanks.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 04:28:00 am »

No shield? I would wager your chances of survival are close to none. But that's the fun part!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 09:36:00 am »

I typically do that alot.  I like two handed swords and usually sell or throw my starting shield as well.

And when you buy something from a shop you have to walk over to the shelf and pick up the weapon yourself.  He won't automatically give it to you.  Same deal with change if you use money.

And yes you will pick up stuff with your off hand and you can use your weapon one handed(yer like Ike that way)  I've noticed a reduced damage when using them one handed but I could have imagined it.  Hard to tell with such a high damage variance.

[ May 02, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 09:52:00 am »

Right, I didn't know that about trade. How do you take some of a stack of coins? I've only ever taken the whole stack when I've looted vacant shops.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 02:09:00 pm »

The game will split them and take them out of the chest when the shopkeeper owes you money, but when yer looting?
Uh...
uhm...
hmm...
Maybe throw half of them one at a time?  Then you will end up with one stack that doesn't weigh 30 metric tons and 2000 little stacks of one coin scattered randomly about.

Stacking and splitting of item stacks isn't really finished right now...

Besides, looting money from shops is effectively worthless.  The entire civilization you steal from immediately demands blood, and the coins you just stole are only good in that civ.  Other civs will only take them for a very low raw materials price which is much lower than what they are worth.  Better to just steal merchandise.

[ May 02, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »

Yep.  Find a civ someplace that you like, go to a neighbouring civ, go through the pillager's checklist, and then go back "home" to sell the loot.

When pickings start to get slim (try not to eradicate cities), retire him for a bit and play something else for a few ingame years.  Or, look for another civ.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 02:37:00 am »

The only reason I steal coins is ammunition :P Emptying the shops pretty much stuffs any chance of selling stuff back to them anyway.