Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Take the time to finished what you're doing before releasing.  (Read 1130 times)

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Take the time to finished what you're doing before releasing.
« on: February 23, 2022, 02:23:59 pm »

In the recent Kit-fox email you metioned that you were thinking of delaying work on Item #5 and #6 until after release.

I don't think you should do this. There's an old saying, It's released when it's done. Or in valve terms: 'soon'.

I would rather you finish work on all of your items and giving it a nice sheen of polish, instead of releasing a half finished product before it's done.

I don't mind waiting a few more years.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: Take the time to finished what you're doing before releasing.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 08:49:36 pm »

I agree.  More waiting won't kill me.  I'm pretty happy playing 0.47.05 and would definitely not want you to delay release of Classic in order to rush Premium.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 10:15:18 pm »

Oh yeah, definately.

Keep classic classy, that's what I always say.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 05:42:35 am »

I agree.  More waiting won't kill me.  I'm pretty happy playing 0.47.05 and would definitely not want you to delay release of Classic in order to rush Premium.

But Classic wouldn't be delayed; people waiting on Classic will have to wait the same amount of time either way. The Classic/ASCII thing is kind of orthogonal to the Steam launch and mostly irrelevant to it's success, because it would be available outside Steam when it comes out, and people who would buy the Steam/Itch release are either:

1. Going to use the premium/graphics because they are new to the game.
2. Going to use the premium/graphics because they prefer tilesets/graphics in general over ASCII.
3. Going to use the free Classic/ASCII version, and are only buying the Steam version out of support for Tarn.
4. Going to use the Classic/ASCII graphics version on Steam, so that they can use the Steam workshop and achievements. Some of these people will overlap with group 3.

As much as it pains me to say it though, Adventure mode though has a much more persuasive case to be made for waiting: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/szobaz/steam_community_update_23_february_2022_release/hy857m6/

« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 06:40:15 am by Mr Crabman »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 04:36:41 pm »

I can see the logic of this, my only (admittedly biased) concern with delaying the Steam release any further would be the corresponding delays of Myth & Magic and the rest of the Villains arc, both of which have already been pushed back enough if you ask me (remember that we were initially predicted to already be 3-4 years into Myth & Magic development by now, yet here we are still waiting).

However, I'd have absolutely no problem with waiting for Steam if Toady could begin developments of aforementioned delayed DF Classic arcs while he's still putting the finishing polishes on Steam release (as long as he doesn't feel too overworked by the multitask).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 04:53:40 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 09:29:47 pm »

Whatever you do Toady, don't release a half finished version of your 47% finished game!

Well, we'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess. 47.05 is good enough until Steam eventually catches up. Damn pity we'll have wait years longer for the bug fixes though. Was about the only interesting thing happening in this release.