Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon frequency on a civ  (Read 2448 times)

Redman9012

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapon frequency on a civ
« on: February 11, 2022, 09:12:42 pm »

I'm wondering if there's a way to change the frequency of weapon distribution on civilizations, so that a civilization's soldiers tend to use some weapons more than others, making them "dominant".

For example, a civilization where the majority of the soldiers wield bows and crossbows while a small minority use melee weapons.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 09:18:41 pm by Redman9012 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon frequency on a civ
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 03:03:58 pm »

I think each weapon is actually considered pretty much equally when generating non-historical combatants, so if you give the civ only one sword, one spear, and three different varieties of bows and crossbows each, you'd end up with 3 out of 4 soldiers generated bringing a bow or crossbow and 1 in 4 getting assigned the sword or spear

That's based on passive observation really. Historical figures will get weapons assigned based on skills they have.

Oh, alternatively, you can give the creature the civ is based off of natural skills or high skill gain rates in archery and bow/crossbow use
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 03:06:01 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon frequency on a civ
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 08:46:30 pm »

I'm wondering if there's a way to change the frequency of weapon distribution on civilizations, so that a civilization's soldiers tend to use some weapons more than others, making them "dominant".

For example, a civilization where the majority of the soldiers wield bows and crossbows while a small minority use melee weapons.

What the other guy said. In my mods I make like 10 slightly different versions of the weapon I want to be more common, and then only 1 version of a rare weapon. For example, a civ's lineup could be

-short edgeless spear
-long edgeless spear
-short edged spear
-long edged spear
-chainsaw

So, only 1 in 5 soldiers would have a chainsaw assuming these 5 weapons used the same skill.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2