Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish and amphibian eggs (moisture requirements, external fertilization and more)  (Read 707 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile

Fish and amphibians should lay eggs (they don't right now it seems), and their eggs would lack an outer shell, being instead made with a jelly-like consistency, and have requirements for moisture/water that normal eggs don't; this moisture requirement should be configurable in the raws, from "must literally be coated in water all the time", to "no moisture actually needed" (for fantasy amphibians, or fishlike creatures that live in magma for example). Eggs will be layable in water or on land (specified in raws per-creature, because some real life toads lay eggs on land, not in water).

Unlike reptiles and birds, such species will also fertilize eggs externally after being laid (presence of male and females together will have no impact on breeding, except insofar as it means males will be in the presence of eggs too).

Normally, the item created should probably be groups of eggs/spawn (not individually tracked eggs), because fish and amphibians make way too many (hundreds or thousands sometimes), but for giant creatures it should still be possible for the eggs to be individual/large.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 11:13:52 am by Mr Crabman »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Fish and amphibian eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 10:40:36 am »

Special eggshell materials (e.g. membrane) may already be possible.  The raws mention "Leathery Eggs", which allegedly don't get used to prevent egg-tanning.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
Re: Fish and amphibian eggs
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 11:09:40 am »

Oh they do get used (dragons for example, and skinks; unless I've misunderstood what you mean by "don't get used"), and I have no doubt the materials could be done right now; the parts that can't be done yet to my knowledge are moisture requirements, eggs being bunched up as single items representing many eggs (for performance reasons), and external fertilization.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 11:13:15 am by Mr Crabman »