Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode in the Wiki  (Read 1240 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode in the Wiki
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:35:00 am »

Hi!

Since I restarted playing adventure mode recently, I had to check in the wiki a bit to get along.

However, I found that the wiki is currently nearly as informative about the adventure mode as the in-game manual.

This made me wonder; we have so many people discussing adventure mode and telling about all their more or less wacky achievements, but somehow, information for newbies on how to play the game in adventure mode seems sparse.

Why is it that the dwarf mode is so well-developed in the wiki while the adventure mode regularly points to dwarf mode articles for details?

Deathworks

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode in the Wiki
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:37:00 am »

I guess it's because currently in the game itself adventure mode is but a skeleton compared to the much more fleshed-out dwarf mode. It's a pity, but it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon (Toady has stated in the 'Future of the fortress' that even when the army arc is completed, adventurers will still not be able to associate with and officially accompany them on their campaigns 'yet').

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:00:00 am »

There's not much to adventure mode as a whole, not much to explain at any rate. The control keys are mostly all that you need. Shift-A to force attack or wrestle something. Shift-I to pull stuff out of your body or somebody's hands if you grabbed it, also to fill waterskins. u for pulling levers, k for talking, l for looking, t for throwing, f for firing (arrows, bolts), g for picking stuff up, d for dropping stuff, etc, etc.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:40:00 am »

Hi!

Well, I just added some info on the site/local map, explaining the compass, display of other z-levels, how things are displayed on the mini map there.

There is no real information on the inventory, nor any information about the ominous abandoned temples that are supposed to exist, no information that asking high priests about "service" will not get you quests but rather has you join their cult (which does not seem to do much except for getting the option of talking to the non-responsive deity).

There is no discussion about making fires, no real entry for towns, no explanations about the common buildings in towns, no explanation about named buildings and their histories.

And of course, details like how food rots away in adventure mode or how the quest log works are also neglected.

Not to mention a discussion about the night/day difference (and whether it is actually applied to human towns in fortress mode, BTW), and no information about retirement/resting the character (including when the option is available as opposed to giving in to starvation).

And these are just the things that someone who has played only a little adventurer mode notices. I have not found any abandoned temples yet, and I have not yet entered any goblin towers (I visited the tile, but got enough loot even before I found the entrance).

Trees, beds, furniture, and buildings are explained only from the perspective of fortress mode. Keeps have no entry or mentioning at all. Neither have random encounters.

Sorry, but I don't think that adventurer mode is completely represented by just:

quote:

A

* Adventure Mode quick reference
   * Adventurer mode

C

* Controls

S

* Site map

And before someone tells me to write things up, I have tried to contribute, but there is still so much I am not sure about or do not really know. And then we have all these people here concentrating on adventurer mode, so I figure that they may be able to provide the information much better than I.

Deathworks

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

One thing that also used to be around in the 2D version wiki was an idea of how much stuff you could wear; it was not perfect (and I sure as hell don't know that my setup is perfect either), but I think I've come pretty damn close to the best setup possible.  Lemme check my adventurer...

Got it.  My cheated character (who only cheated in that he magically gained equipment and skills) is currently wearing four sets of chainmail, one helm, eight hoods, a pair of chausse(s?) and a pair of high boots, eleven long skirts, a pair of gloves and a pair of gauntlets, three cloaks, and fifteen capes.  I'm pretty sure that it's damn close to the best protection you can get without modding the stats of armor.

Ah, almost forgot; he's also wearing a backpack, which does take up room on the upper body.  Without it I think he could wear a fifth set of chainmail at *least*, but since backpacks and everything in them fall under the Armor User skill, it's easier to just carry it around in spite of the loss of coverage.  It's not like he needs it anyway since his stuff is all masterwork adamantine.  :)

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: BDR ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:45:00 am »

fifteen capes,
eleven long skirts,
eight hoods,
four sets of chainmail,
three cloaks,
two pairs of boots,
two pairs of gloves,
one helm,
and a great cave spider in his loin cloth

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 01:51:00 am »

To the OP's point: I had trouble coaxing information out of the wiki myself.  My main issue was figuring out key bindings; I only just now found the quick reference (and copied the link near the top of the AM wiki page rather than burying it as before).  After that, the particular kind of brain damage I needed to cause myself to understand fortress mode means I picked up the rest pretty quickly, but I'd doubt that a never-before-played person would understand anything that's going on.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 06:42:00 am »

One you know the basics, Adv Mode is pretty straightforward, and a lot more fun for a quick blast than the dwarf mode.  But a "Getting Started" guide would be helpful, including tips on sneaking, hiring meat, buying weapons, stealing, getting quests, finding caves etc.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.