Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuzzy graphical borders for "unseen" areas instead of harsh ones  (Read 649 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile

Take this screenshot from a while back in the Steam news (maybe this was fixed already, but I wouldn't be sure of that):

See in the top left (and bottom left), those "unrevealed" squares? They have a really harsh, artificial looking border there, which doesn't look great.

I suggest making these edges "fuzzy" or "foggy" in a sense, spilling over a little bit onto the tiles you can see, maybe animate it slightly too (even while the game is paused). I don't know if that would make it seem natural fully (it's overall not the color one would think of for "fog of war" in a game), but it would be better than solid lines that almost look like a rendering glitch.

This would be applicable to both fortress and adventure mode for unrevealed tiles.

It doesn't look bad for the inside of the buildings because of the roughness/granularity of the rock walls as they touch the darkness, although the contact point against the doors (especially the door on the bottom), does look kind of awkward because of how flat it is, and because the darkness starts at the very bottom of the door.

We haven't seen the adventure mode "you've seen this tile before but now it's greyed out a bit because you can't see it right now" graphics, but I'd imagine some kind of granular/foggy edge to that would be good too (but maybe less important).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 05:07:14 pm by Mr Crabman »