Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saving soaps  (Read 1118 times)

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Saving soaps
« on: December 16, 2021, 10:23:51 pm »

I now have the problem of dwarfs using soaps too fast.

Looking at a few dwarfs that go "clean self", I find out that they carry coating of blood from dwarfs that die many years ago. How do they get the blood on their body? At first, I thought maybe they got from a pool of blood left somewhere uncleaned. However, I noticed that the dwarven child, who's playing in the well room all days, didn't get any blood on her body, while the floor was covered in many pools of different kinds of blood.

So how do dwarfs get those contaminants after all?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Saving soaps
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 10:49:15 pm »

Could it be from them having to lie down when two or more are in the same tile?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 10:54:31 pm »

Interesting! I'll keep observing and see if that's the case.

edit: I followed a dwarf crossing through several pools of blood, sometimes crawling, and he doesn't any blood on his body.

I also noticed that he got a coating of water after bathing, and that water lasted before about one day before evaporating.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 11:11:34 pm by coalboat »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 11:51:39 pm »

Maybe they picked up blood-soaked clothing to wear, then cleaned it?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 01:17:44 am »

I'm watching this Catten Uzvabok closely. So far he hasn't got any blood on him yet after his last bath.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 01:26:38 am »

Maybe they picked up blood-soaked clothing to wear, then cleaned it?

Probably not. I checked the clothing lying in pool of blood. They are clean.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 05:37:24 am »

Contaminants can spread, presumably on the feet of critters. Walking though contaminated water can wash some off, while gaining a new set from the contaminated water.

I think a dwarf cleaner ought to get rid of contaminants eventually, but the cleaner would have to be constructed such that the contaminants are washed away, not just offloaded to the water to be picked up by someone else.
A trench with a flow of a low level of water should work, as should the more complicated setup of trickling water from above and draining it away through grates. The latter setup requires some tuning to get the trickling rate sufficient to clean dwarves most of the time, but not blocking their paths at any time.

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 08:08:57 am »

:o Your dorfs use soap when they wash?!? I don't think my dirty dorfs even wash themselves in the river! I will have to look into soap making... :D

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 09:37:26 am »

I'm building a mist distributor. I hope it will work.

Dwarfs use soap when they bath. In fact, soap is essential to prevent and cure infection. Build a well and you'll see dwarfs going there and washing themselves.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 09:42:07 am »

Going through a cloud of mist probably doesn't wash away contaminants, but going through falling water that also generates mist does. The contaminants have to be washed away, though, or they'll just find their way to somebody else's feet.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2021, 10:46:45 pm »

I'm trying to figure out what exactly coats the dwarfs with the blood. Apparently, walking through a pool of blood doesn't do that. Walking through 1/7 water laced with blood might do that, but I don't have any stray 1/7 water in my fort.

Lying down where there's a pool of blood might do that. I haven't got any chance to test that.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2021, 04:30:27 am »

:o Your dorfs use soap when they wash?!? I don't think my dirty dorfs even wash themselves in the river! I will have to look into soap making... :D

Mine use soap, but only if I have a well. I try to put a few floor grates around the well so they can wash the contaminant straight through the floor grates. Store a few bars of soap without bins in the general area of the well, and you'll see dorfs soaping themselves down regularly.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 09:57:20 pm »

The latest observation confirms that dwarfs prone in tight place where there's pool of blood on the ground indeed get a coating of blood on their body. Ziusudra's hypothesis is correct!

I spotted a dwarf going to bath and followed him. After he bathed, he's squeaky clean with a nice coating of water. He went up the stairs, going through multiple pools of blood without get any on his body. And then, just when he passed a crossroads where the central stairs meet one of the main levels, he encountered a group of cats and maybe a few other dwarfs. Immediately, he got a coating of Asen Torchpast's dwarf blood. On that very tile of stairs, there's a pool of Asen Torchpast's dwarf blood. Exact match.

The conclusion is that, dwarfs don't pick up contaminant when they walk through a pool of it, but they do pick up contaminant when they are prone on a tile where there's a pool.