Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two-level library problem…  (Read 1025 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two-level library problem…
« on: December 10, 2021, 01:34:14 am »

I think I may have found a bug.  I created a two-level library consisting of two 11x11 areas connected by an internal staircase.  The top level has tables and chairs and coffers for writing supplies, and the bottom level has bookcases.

The problem is that, while the lower floor seems to work just fine, my dwarves are treating the upper floor as though it wasn’t a library.

Any idea why this might be happening?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two-level library problem…
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 04:45:17 am »

Your description doesn't explain what behaviors you had expected to see but didn't, so you leave readers guessing as to what's missing.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if a library divided into several zones would confine associated activities to each zone (if you pick up a book in one zone you'd read it in that zone, not bring it elsewhere, and if you write a book you'd find a table in the same zone or do without. Note that this is speculation: I haven't experimented with multi zone libraries). Also, I wouldn't be surprised if multi zone libraries would ignore zones beyond the first one completely (it would definitely be a bug if that was the case).

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 06:19:13 am »

However, I wouldn't be surprised if a library divided into several zones would confine associated activities to each zone (if you pick up a book in one zone you'd read it in that zone, not bring it elsewhere, and if you write a book you'd find a table in the same zone or do without.

I can't remember for certain, but the last time I had a multi-zone library (2 z-levels), all zones had their own bookcases, coffers, tables and chairs. It seemed like both zones worked, though I think they used them the way Patrik suggests.

But it's some time since that game, so I could remember wrong.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 05:43:51 pm »

Try making the upper level much more attractive than the lower (engravings, artifact pedestals, etc). Pretty sure I've had multi-zone libraries that function correctly. Although it's been a while.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 01:38:11 am »

I have scribe copying books without using a table.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 01:49:27 am »

It’s a single zone, spread over two z-levels.  Books and bookcases on the lower level, tables chairs and coffers for writing materials on the upper level.  The problem is that lower level works just fine, but the dwarves act like the upper level just isn’t there.  No using the desks and chairs for writing or reading.  No filling the coffers with writing material.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 05:34:45 am »

No, it's not a single zone, as you can't paint zones in the third dimension. It has to be a single location consisting of two zones, or, possibly, a single location with a single zone and a un-zoned area above it (in which case it's not surprising if the area isn't used for library activities).

Just tried painting a zone in a stair case: The zone ends up on the Z level of the last corner (both when starting at the bottom and starting at the top).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 05:02:23 pm »

@coalboat
Tables are not needed for reading/writing, but players often add them because dwarfs will eat in the library if the dining room is full.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 04:47:03 am »

@coalboat
Tables are not needed for reading/writing, but players often add them because dwarfs will eat in the library if the dining room is full.

The scribe didn't use a chair either. He took an empty scroll from the chest and wrote on it standing right there.