Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Couple "Beginner's Mind" questions  (Read 2557 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Couple "Beginner's Mind" questions
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2021, 02:51:04 am »

Check out the wiki page on ramps, specifically this section: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Ramp#Movement_using_ramps.
Pretty sure the design problem will be the lack of an adjacent solid tile on the same z level as the ramp.

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tower problem
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2021, 09:57:32 am »

Thanks for that link feelotraveller, very useful to me. I have been trying to wrap a road, 3 blocks wide, up my tower to no avail. I have one last idea that maybe will work which is to dig a 12 z level deep pit that will actually hold my structure, which should allow me to carve the road around the tower out of stone (avoid (b)-(C)-(r) all together?). I would still build the actual tower inside the pit out of wood, in part to spite the elves and in part because I maybe want to make a system that allows me to not just have a moat around my tower, but actually be able to flood the entire structure inside the pit, and be able to pump the water out again. Sort of a submersible tower. I would create a way for trade wagons to enter from the outside, through a deep channel for them to reach the bottom of the pit, they would make their way up the tower and reach the surface level. At this point my planning stops. I am thinking of using a drawbridge system to create a drop zone where the wagon will fall back into the pit. I plan to create a walled structure the caravan will fall into (our a pumpable "drown tank" maybe), to keep my dorfs safe.

This whole idea of wanting to try and drop a trader's wagon from a 10 z level tall structure and collect the goodies came from me having to learn to protect my own wagon from giant Kea. A while back I had my iron anvil stolen about 1 minute after embark, it was horrifying. So now as soon as dwarven boots hit the dirt, I create a 2 z level deep hole under my wagon, and learned to carefully breach the top layer to make my own wagon fall into the hole, which I then quickly cover.

My apologies, I have strayed off course from my original post a bit. This might become my first mini mega project  :o

p.s. My tower is surrounded by  hundreds of cherry trees. My dorfs were hard at work building the great tower, suddenly my screen exploded in the most beautiful array of colors as the cherry trees blossomed. My dorfs all sat down and watched for a good hour. There was drinking, and merry-making  :)

« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 10:06:15 am by DwarfUli »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2021, 07:20:31 am »

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, you can automate the plant gathering by making zones: i, place the zone, g, G, and if you don't want to use stepladders you can turn off picking fruit from trees.

(edit: you may find yourself overrun by fruit, plants, and seeds if you use this method excessively)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 07:25:10 am by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2021, 01:38:32 pm »

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, you can automate the plant gathering by making zones: i, place the zone, g, G, and if you don't want to use stepladders you can turn off picking fruit from trees.

(edit: you may find yourself overrun by fruit, plants, and seeds if you use this method excessively)

Very useful tip,thanks so much!!

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2021, 03:09:02 pm »

2. To make food production easier, make sure to have a dedicated grower (no other jobs, not even hauling duties except food hauling) and allow only growers to harvest (in orders, letter o from the main screen).
That will help the grower grind their skills much, much faster. I believe 1-2 years of constant planting and harvesting are enough time for a grower to hit Legendary+5.

A skilled grower plants much faster (and thus can service larger plots alone) and produces larger stacks of plants.
You want stack of plants to be as large as possible to keep a large fort boozed up, because brewing takes exactly one barrel per stack of plants (producing 5 units of booze per plant) and making barrels is a bother even in the latest versions (where wood is almost never scarce).

-

If you are content to cheese the hell out of food production and simply don't want to worry about food no matter how large your fort grows, learn dwarven syrup cooking and chicken egg harvesting.
Neither dwarven syrup nor eggs are edible raw.
But when cooked, they can be turned into ridiculous amounts of food in a relatively short amount of time with a single grower (a legendary grower can service a 8x8 plot easily every season) and 5-10 chickens.

A single roast with three stacks of dwarven syrup and one stack of something solid is at least 50 meals even with a mediocre grower who produces 3 plants per seed.
And chickens lay huge stacks of eggs. You could keep a medium-sized fort fed on egg roasts alone.

-

Stockpile space is a problem with any large-scale food industry, but you can cheese your food industry even further with quantum stockpiling.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 03:19:38 pm by HmH »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2021, 09:00:27 pm »

These are very useful if you don't have/want to use so much wood to make barrels:

large rock pots
large clay pots
large porcelain pots (clay pots made from kaolinite that require no glazing)
etc., see below:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Large_pot
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2021, 01:43:29 am »

Yep, large pots are a good idea to save wood, but I recommend glass or clay over stone. Rock tends to be limited if you avoid digging except where required. (Most believe this helps save FPS)

Glass and clay are quick, infinite resources if you have a sand or clay layer and a magma kiln, and glass in particular makes a wide variety of products, including some massively overpriced elf-compatible trade goods. (some trap components are worth way more than they should be and you can dramatically overpay traders so they come back with more goods the following year)

Pages: 1 [2]