Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: About Novel Scoops' deleted threads...  (Read 1410 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: About Novel Scoops' deleted threads...
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 08:49:24 am »

Why did he delete the treads some of them where amusing, why didn't he just let them be forgotten?

I liked the "excuses one". But it wasn't really a "game", I mean it waas but, what you did didn't effect anything.

I wouldn't have called it spam since it does appear to have been a genuine attempt to make more silly-bullshit games, but it could have been, like, one thread.
Agreed. Games don't have to be complicated, but first-page real estate is limited- one should try to avoid making more threads than needed to do a thing.

I'd like if casual games and serious games can continue to coexist and not have the later feel the need to fight for "real estate" with them. As I did volunteer for the Forum Game List I may as well be the one to remind that it is an option.

In the 31 games that were posted in the last 2 years, all found players (though a few didn't have quite enough). Here's the records I compiled this morning:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I acknowledge the whole "threads discussing forum games in forum games don't belong" argument,...buut I disagree.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 02:04:24 pm »

I wouldn't have called it spam since it does appear to have been a genuine attempt to make more silly-bullshit games, but it could have been, like, one thread.
Agreed. Games don't have to be complicated, but first-page real estate is limited- one should try to avoid making more threads than needed to do a thing.

I'd like if casual games and serious games can continue to coexist and not have the later feel the need to fight for "real estate" with them.
I think you may have misinterpreted me. Like, entirely. I did not intend to imply in any way that casual games were less deserving of real estate, hence why I said "Games don't have to be complicated". In fact, I was briefly annoyed a few months ago when someone made like eight threads for a very complicated forum game (apparently they'd migrated from some other forum, and they all had a reason to exist, but still).

As I did volunteer for the Forum Game List I may as well be the one to remind that it is an option.
Look, mate, the fact that you have to remind people of its existence is the reason folks don't use it much. It's a fact of life that games on the first page are more visible. Very few people are going to check an incomplete list to find new games, and that's fine. Things work as is.

In the 31 games that were posted in the last 2 years, all found players (though a few didn't have quite enough). Here's the records I compiled this morning:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Good gods, man. This is not relevant. While you do post a lot of games, the guy in question posted half a dozen in 24 hours, all of which were similar in form, and could've easily been a single thread.
And taking the time to make a list of the page count of every game you've made in the past two years (while bragging that all of them had replies- which is not a very high hurdle) is weird.

In conclusion, you don't need to be the moderator of FG&RP (because it doesn't need one), you don't need to fix any systemic issues (because there aren't any), you don't need to defend the right of people to make games (because no one is seriously objecting to people making games). Things work fine as is. Sure, sometimes things like this happen, but that's to be expected. There's no way of making a perfect system, and it's better to deal with issues on a case-by-case basis when they're this uncommon.
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 02:12:21 pm »

Thank you for saying what I wanted to but had a hard time putting into nice words. Literally every point was covered! Huzzah!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2021, 02:21:00 pm »

Speaking of forum games and rosehart, are you on a break currently? I haven't seen any of your games lately.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2021, 02:42:02 pm »

I acknowledge the whole "threads discussing forum games in forum games don't belong" argument,...buut I disagree.
Oh, I forgot to address this. I actually agree that threads like this belong here, and while I don't think this needed to be discussed, I don't begrudge you for thinking otherwise. So long as there aren't too many of such meta-threads, it makes more sense to have them here than to clutter another board with them. 
Just... don't try to make an issue where there isn't one.
Long Live United Forenia!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 05:24:29 am »

If you just have an opinion about things on this forum, it's taken as a declaration of intent to moderate. Let me be completely clear as I have tried to be in the past, I have been a moderator on other forums, it did not work out, I do not want to be one here. But I am just the type to be involved in discussing how thing are going. I was playing one of Novel Scoops games before it suddenly disappeared, it effected me personally and I wanted to comment on it.

Quote from: Nuke
And taking the time to make a list of the page count of every game you've made in the past two years (while bragging that all of them had replies- which is not a very high hurdle) is weird.
It is weird, because it is not what I listed. Those are games from everybody. And it's relevant to point out how they've gotten players when complaints about how hard it is to find players when a game is not still on the front page, when such concerns are raised. So a list showing the 100% success rate of the Forum Game List to help games find at least some players, over a two year (mid-pandemic) span, is relevant to those that are worried about finding players and front page clutter. It's a relevant fact to share, and those 31 games from various users show those facts.

Speaking of forum games and rosehart, are you on a break currently? I haven't seen any of your games lately.
Have any requests?

It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.
Pages: 1 [2]