Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WAR!!! This is WAR!!!  (Read 1688 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
WAR!!! This is WAR!!!
« on: February 06, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

Also the most interesting encounter I've had, despite participating, meagerly at that, only in its final phase.

I decided to do some mild modding, and out of curiosity made humans like dwarven-type mountain halls. Since this was done parallel to porting of my martial arts mod to the new version, dark elves (that I've blatantly, but not completely, copied from Keilden's drow) also occupied such halls.

The net result was staggering. Entire populations (entire goddamn entity populations) moved out of their homes in the towns and clogged up the entrances to the mountain halls. One in particular was Helmelder, a site occupied by the dark elves that moved into it sometime in 791, if the site's leader legends entry is any indication. At least two full human town populaces tried to cram themselves into this one poor site. There were at least a dozen shopkeepers and priests, several mayors, and more guards than I could remember. The dark elves aren't a very tough bunch without magic, so by the time my adventurer found the site entrance and descended, most of the resistance was cut down. It was pretty much a massacre, but among all the turmoil, the combat messages of one particular dark elf caught my eye - the darkelven spearmaster, site leader. Along my way down to meet him, I saw a lot of carnage, but not much actual fighting. Actually, no fighting at all, only lots and lots of dead bodies. And bolts. Eventually I stumbled upon two drunks, and a willing peasant, so to our final fight we went in a very standard adventuring "pack".

Then, at the last dead-end of the last wide corridor, we found him. Ware Blotchguard the Just Tragedies of Glittering, dark elf spearmaster. And then he introduced himself. You know, even considering that there were a lot of children (probably), a kill list of 52 achieved in, at most, an hour of ingame time... The worst thing is that he was armed with, of all weapons, a pitchfork...  One of his first attacks went like this:

quote:
The dark elf Spearmaster lashes The Peasant in the head with his *®рTower-cap pitchforkрЇ*!
It is broken!
The Peasant has been stunned!
The Peasant's right eye has been torn out!
The Peasant's left eye has been torn out!
The Peasant's nose has been torn!
The Peasant's throat has been torn out!
The Peasant's neck has been badly sprained!
The Peasant's brain has been badly torn!
The *®рTower-cap pitchforkрЇ* has lodged firmly in the wound!

Thankfully, we've had some backup in form of two guards, one of them a pikeman, another a crossbowman. The pikeman tried to absorb the most of the damage, and the drunks helped, while I abandoned the futile attempts to penetrate the dark elf's shield, and concentrated on trying to grab on to his head. After a successful charge by the accompanying Peasant, that sent them both tumbling forward, and made the spearmaster lose his spe.., er, pitchfork, things started getting better. Only after a few scored hits, and when the spearmaster was already very tired, we managed to completely overwhelm him. I grabbed him and snapped his neck, while the two guards scored their own hits, one bolt in the lower body, plus one pike through the chest.
That was the most epic encounter of all time, a full-scale assault of the human militia on an unsuspecting darkelven outpost. I think armies are much closer than you'd think.  :)

I can post the whole log of that event, if you feel like reading 240Kbytes of text.  ;)

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fenrir

Re: WAR!!! This is WAR!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 11:46:00 am »

:D I love the new release!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 11:48:00 am »

Thats cool!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 11:51:00 am »

Hmm...  Make two parallel civs, and have them like going to each others' fort-types.  Larger cities will wipe out smaller towns, and you'll have plenty of blood-washed occupied towns on both sides to wander around in.  You might even be able to see some of the action, if you arrive early.

Or, just make aggressor and defender races.  Hmm....

Fenrir

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

Did you have to generate a new world for this to work? I made gobbos like cities but there were no invasions.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 09:04:00 pm »

Sounds like this wasn't an *invasion*, exactly, just migrants that expected a peaceful place to live and got something different.  Still awesome!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Fenrir

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »

When an entire civilisation shows up on your doorstep and starts setting up shop, I'd call that an invasion. I got it work, BTW.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »

Did a little thinking about this, and I was wondering: say you were to make a civ like to live in a type of city built by another civ that is hostile to them, and you waltz in and slaughter the original inhabitants, will the new inhabitants set up shops/worship at temples/give quests etc.?
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 03:55:00 am »

That depends on whether or no the migration process actually works midgame. For all we know that could just as well be limited to worldgen. For example, I'm fairly sure the site was clear of dark elves, yet none of the inhabitants were "at home". Same thing happened in human towns that were populated by migrant elves and dwarves.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »

I'll just bump the topic for the sake of anyone who wants to share any similar experiences.

A detail I forgot to mention - the right adler high boot of the spearmaster had an engraving of him on it. Why a boot, of all things?
It was one of the items I kept personally for myself until that character died.

Fenrir

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 06:46:00 pm »

As cool as slaughter on such a large scale is, participating in these epic battles can be less than fun. Every step you get five pages of combat message spam.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

Actually, every 2 steps you get about 3 and 1/8 pages of spam.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 11:54:00 pm »

You obviously haven't been in the larger battles, friend...  Even just having three giant cave spiders and a ratman gnawing on you while you're paralyzed will generate three to four screens of combat messages.

That is, of course, if you happen to have [DAMBLOCK:8] while playing as a bronze colossus so you can survive the first two pages of messages.