Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Confiscate Stolen Goods  (Read 823 times)

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Confiscate Stolen Goods
« on: November 07, 2021, 08:34:25 pm »

This one remains a bit of a mystery to me at the moment. Let's say that some visitor conspires to have one of my dwarves steal some artifact, and succeeds. Well, mostly succeeds; I still arrest them over the theft before they leave with the artifact. However, now they're sitting in a jail cell holding the artifact.

How do I actually get it back from them?

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Confiscate Stolen Goods
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 08:47:02 pm »

Notably, sending my guards in to mercilessly slaughter the offenders worked wonders. Is there a way to do this without... y'know, that?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 10:40:26 pm »

I would also like to know if there's a way to recover the artifact without covering it in blood, so to speak.

Perhaps something silly with water could be done - but it'd be far better if we could designate it to be dumped or something, just to remove it from the offender.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 05:31:52 am »

No, this is broken (like most of the Villains stuff).

If you're using DFHack you should be able to mark it for dumping, but vanilla DF doesn't permit you to dump mark artifacts, so vanilla players are screwed.

It's also possible to teleport the item away using DFHack, but that should be done with some care, as you should also remove the references the thief has to the item, the reference the item has, if there is one, and adjust flags on the item so it's not marked as being in an inventory/container, and possibly other flags.
It ought to be possible to make a script that recovers artifacts (in which case it probably shouldn't end up at the feet of the thief, as I'd expect the thief's next action to be to steal it again, whenever possible).

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 07:16:03 am »

Ah, a shame. Well, the guards could use the live-target practice.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 09:15:24 am »

In another thread I suggested trying to assign the artifact to a Display Case or Pedestal and it was successful - if your thief is in a Cage, you might want to try that.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 11:23:37 am »

I think that only works if they're in a cage; I lost the option to display the artifact (wasn't showing up on the list) when they were merely held by a restraint.