Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Economic advice wanted  (Read 1070 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Economic advice wanted
« on: February 29, 2008, 05:07:00 am »

Hi!

Because I wanted to check about the reachability of islands, I have started playing adventure mode. However, I am having a little bit of problem getting economically started:

* Is there any way to get food besides buying it in a town? I noticed that I can't eat animal corpses. I do know that I can refill my waterskin at rivers, so that is no problem. I also know that I don't have to worry about it on the travel screen, but I already came across a cyclops who hid so well I had to eat while trying to find him.

* Any good advice on getting tradable goods. Animal corpses still seem to be non-tradable and the cyclops and giant I killed didn't even have a club. Without tradable goods, I can't really improve my equipment.

I am playing with a few "limitations" which probably remove some options, but I hope that people can still give some advice:

- No "meat shields". I am treating NPCs as people, so I am not dragging some poor drunks to their death as canon fodder.

- No allied town plundering/destroying/rampaging. See the "meat shield" issue.

- No goblin towers at first. I know goblin archers from dwarf mode, so I don't think I would really have a chance getting through there. Once I have better equipment and skills, I want to do them, but not with my initial basic skill set.

- No throwing. It is an inbalance/bug, so I rather stick with sword fighters (which are actually not as bad as people make them sound, at least against normal foes).

I know it is a tall order, but I hope someone still has some advice for me.

Deathworks

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Economic advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 05:38:00 am »

There are three places you can get valuable items to sell:  Friendly towns, iron men, and goblin fortresses.

You've already ruled out the first option, and iron men can be quite rare and thus hard to find.  If you can find a cave that actually has them however, you're set.

I prefer goblin forts.  If you can sneak around and stay away from bowmen, a few dead goblins can land you an exceptionally expensive load of giant cave spider silk items.  Even the poorest goblin peasant can have a sock or a mitten made from the stuff, and a couple of those can buy you a very nice shield.

There is no way to get food other than buying it.  You can burn plants and strangle fish, but you can't eat either of them.   Modding can make certain creatures turn into food items when they die, however.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 10:58:00 am »

I suggest attempting to find an (now elusive in 3d) ancient ruin. The skellies fall pretty well to a sword, and the zombies are very easy to stealth by. Lots of bone trinkets to be had, not to mention the clothing (don't take anything worse than xitemx (small 'x'es)) can sell for a fair amount of coin.
Also, if you manage to find a zombie weaponmaster, just try to knock the blighter over and start hacking away, he'll be too slow to respond. You'll get a few nice bits of armor while you're there.

The other thing you could search out is Kobold caves. That's a bit harder though. I'd suggest looking for iron men (suggested above) before Kobolds.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deathworks:
<STRONG>- No "meat shields". I am treating NPCs as people, so I am not dragging some poor drunks to their death as canon fodder.</STRONG>

If you're careful and fast, you can keep drunks alive surprisingly long.  You do have to go rescue them occasionally though.

quote:
<STRONG>- No goblin towers at first. I know goblin archers from dwarf mode, so I don't think I would really have a chance getting through there. Once I have better equipment and skills, I want to do them, but not with my initial basic skill set.</STRONG>

A super-maxed-out adventurer that takes a shot to the head is as dead as a rookie who takes a shot to the head.  Also, archers are fairly uncommon; just run like hell when you see something fly by (either towards or away -- just don't dither).

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »

Hi!

Thank you all for the useful advice. I actually tried to go near a goblin tower and indeed, I soon found some goblin guards and a drunk(!) trying to fight me. This yielded some good trade material, even though I never found the entrance of that tower (well, I stopped looking when I saw that the iron stuff I had looted was weighing me down).

It is a little sad that ettins, cyclops, minotaurs, and giants do not even have a loincloth or a club (or axe) while goblin drunks wear several pieces of giant cave spider silk clothes.

Anyhow, thank you for the useful tips and things are looking good thus far (I plan to train swimming a bit more and then do my first test crawl coming from the wrong side to a peninsula).

Deathworks