Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Night creature type not showing up in animal stockpile settings  (Read 2042 times)

Forsquilis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Night creature type not showing up in animal stockpile settings
« on: October 31, 2021, 03:38:58 pm »

I've embarked near two necromancer towers, and had an invasion of night creatures called "Zuglar's Soldiers". Some of them got caught in cage traps. I'd like to send them to one specific animal stockpile. However, when I go into the animal stockpile settings and look at the list of animals, "Zuglar's Soldiers" is not listed as an option. Neither is "night creature" or "experiment".

The in-game description of these things is "A hairy humanoid...This night creature was first created by the dwarven necromancer Zuglar Patternedhall after horrible experiments on the dwarf Goden Glazepillars..." So I tried creating a stockpile that accepts everything that sounds humanoid, from dwarves to cave fish men to centaurs to night-creature-sounding things like "Retainers of Meplul" and "Ugeth's Judgments", but the dwarves don't move the Zuglar's Soldiers into it.

I also tried creating a stockpile that allows all cages/animal traps that are not empty, and the dwarves did move the Zuglar's Soldiers into that.

Has anyone else experienced this, or can point me to a solution or explanation? I have no idea if these are classified as an animal type that I'm overlooking, or if this is a bug, or if it's just currently-expected behavior for night creature cages.

If it matters, I'm playing 0.47.05 (downloaded via PeridexisErrant's Lazy Newb Pack version 0.47.05-r05).

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Night creature type not showing up in animal stockpile settings
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 04:19:11 am »

Interactions between procedurally generated things and stockpiles are a bit broken in general. You see the same problem with a few other stockpile lists. The categories in the UI are hardcoded so they don't include entries for specific procgen things.

One possible workaround is to toggle the entire category to permitted, then manually turn all the individual entries off. Hopefully that will mean that only the unlisted entries are left enabled. To allow everything except the unlisted items you need to do the opposite: disable the whole category then manually turn individual entries back on.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 06:47:56 am »

Interactions between procedurally generated things and stockpiles are a bit broken in general. You see the same problem with a few other stockpile lists. The categories in the UI are hardcoded so they don't include entries for specific procgen things.

Does it include Forgotten Beasts and Titans or am I misremembering that?

Also, is there any quick way to "manually" toggle everything in the animal/corpse/remains list?  Perhaps a macro that repeats X times, and find out X by counting [CREATURE: in the raws?  (Excluding entity_default, but including DOES_NOT_EXIST and such, that gave me 768 creatures, which, y'know, is a lot of manual toggling.)

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 11:04:02 am »

Does it include Forgotten Beasts and Titans or am I misremembering that?
I think so. I seem to remember having issues in the past where a refuse stockpile with nothing enabled (used as part of a quantum stockpile system to accelerate decay of worn clothing) ended up receiving parts of forgotten beasts and titans because apparently those options can't be toggled off.

Some experimentation is definitely required. When I think about it, manually toggling every entry might not be necessary. It might be sufficient to enable the category while having all the sub-categories disabled. Then again, I'm not sure if there are any sub-categories in the animals stockpile menu.
If you do need to toggle every entry then a macro is surely the way forward. Record yourself toggling, say, 20 items, and then repeatedly run it until you reach the end.

Forsquilis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 04:21:17 am »

One possible workaround is to toggle the entire category to permitted, then manually turn all the individual entries off.

This route ended up working. It's cumbersome but I only need to do it once per fortress (or never, if the nearby necromancers just bring boring ol' reanimated goblin corpses). I mainly wanted to make sure that I understand how the game is handling categories. Thanks a lot!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 06:46:35 pm »

My method (Too late, I know) would be to assemble the cages in the same room as the stockpile you were aiming for, lock a dorf in with them and the stockpile (just lock the door on that room for a minute or two) and then disassemble the cages, so that the dwarf, after disassembling, then moves the cages to the nearest available stockpile, which by coincidence is the one you wanted. Then unlock the door so the dwarf who disassembled and moved the cages can go free.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 08:13:58 pm »

I get the idea that the plan was to have them in the cages, but put those cages in a specific stockpile, for an ungiven reason, not to release them from the cages. Could be wrong about that.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 02:10:49 pm »

I had similar problem in the beginning of my fortress. After finding that the experiments are moved to the stockpile with all enabled, I just used stockpile links, and forbade the cages with non-experiments. This might be easier to me, because I use quantum stockpiles.

Also, this is a bit dangerous in case of bigger experiments, but you can move all of them to a single cage, and move only that single cage. I did that to get rid of them, I use single cages, containing ~60 critters each, for disposing enemies, when I drop them into magma pipe. This is safer (or completely safe?) for humans, elves, goblins or smaller experiments (as well as their undead variants) but bigger ones like trolls or beak dogs can sometimes escape while being transferred between cages.