Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: on-map (fortress mode) offspring for non-dwarf intelligent beings?  (Read 977 times)

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looong ago I had a dream of creating underground cities for different species. Goblins, kobolds... camel-men? Back then, it could not work (IIRC) because intelligent (civilized?) beings would not produce offspring without marrying first, and (I think) only dwarves ever married while on the map.

Did that change? If so, how much of it did?
The wiki (https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Breeding) talks about a requirement of being married or "marriage-compatible". It then further down says that invaders "normally are incapable of breeding", and says that "non-historical non-pet fully-sentient figures cannot breed"...

So that doesn't sound very promising. Still, I might be misunderstanding or missing something, so I figured I'd ask:

- Are invaders "non-historical" or is there some other reason they would be special in a "no children for you!" sense?
- Can I catch goblin invaders in cage-traps, release them in a walled-off cavern, and expect them to have offspring there?
- What about animal-men? Would they produce offspring?

And...

- Would any low-impact modding make it possible? Could one give goblins and/or animalpeople a pet tag, and would it help?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: on-map (fortress mode) offspring for non-dwarf intelligent beings?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 12:44:50 pm »

- Residents can breed, and so can visitors: occasionally a visitor gives birth to a baby that's just left to crawl around. Mine have managed to crawl themselves to death (typically in the well), although I've seen one player say a baby matured into a child. Visitors can petition for residency and become citizen, and those can have kids (I've had the occasional goblin an managed to get a sustainable population of humans). However, it's rather hard to get a sufficiently large population of a race to generate a sustainable population. Even with the reduced restrictions on age differences, most petitioners are either already married to a partner who'll never visit, or aren't married because they're opposed to marriage. Accepting petitions from performance troupes is bugged, but that is essentially the only way to get elves and goblins (I've had one or two non performance troupe goblins apply, but I'm not sure I've had any elves).
- Non sapient invaders can give birth while besieging the fortress: I've had non sapient experiment offspring left on the map when the invaders gave up after a year.
- I don't know if the lover relation can result in offspring out of wedlock (a.k.a. bastards).
- Petitioning animal people could probably reproduce if you'd manage to get couples, but sapient invaders probably don't breed. I've never even seen cavern animal people breed, although those losers tend to get wiped out by local wildlife fairly quickly... (semi intelligent cavern dwellers can breed: it's not that uncommon to get troglodyte birth notifications in mature fortresses [where the trogs get caught by the unchecked cavern tree growth so they can't leave]).

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 06:49:16 pm »

Free-range babies die in wells because they don't have access to something to drink any other way. They try to use the well and drown. I've had many free-range babies survive if I coralle them somewhere with food and drink, and they make it to childhood and become useful members of the fortress down the track.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 06:11:35 am »

So that sounds like "no intelligent people will breed unless they're part of the fortress", drat.

Oh well, thanks for telling me before I put a lot of effort into caging those black (and brown) bear men wandering on my map every now and then and carving out a cozy bear cave for them.

(Unless there's a way to mod animal people to be able to breed? )

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 07:06:15 am »

occasionally a visitor gives birth to a baby that's just left to crawl around. Mine have managed to crawl themselves to death (typically in the well), although I've seen one player say a baby matured into a child.

I've had one elf visitor give birth while being caged (convicted for espionage). The baby then crawled around the fort, grew into a child and eventually an adult. She was listed as a friendly unit, and I eventually ended using DFHack's un-retire anyone to take control of her and had some adventures.