Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Repeater design help  (Read 994 times)

x0reset

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Repeater design help
« on: November 09, 2021, 01:20:49 pm »

I'm having trouble finding a repeater that sends a steady ON signal when the repeater itself is OFF.

I want to line my entry with upright spikes linked to a repeater, but I want the spikes to be retracted when the repeater is not running.  Spikes retract when they receive an ON signal, and extend when they receive an OFF signal.  Every repeater design I can find defaults the output to OFF when not running, leaving the spikes extended.

I would prefer a compact minecart solution, powered or unpowered, but I will take what I can get if anyone has a repeater that meets these requirements.

Much appreciated!

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
Re: Repeater design help
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 03:15:02 pm »

While We are not familiar with dwarfen Computing, it occurs to Us that, if no One else has any Suggestions, you could try sending the Repeater Output through a NOT Gate and trigger the Spikes from there.

We are not, of course, saying that this is the only Method or that it is even the Method best suited for your Build, merely that adding a NOT Gate would convert any 'ends on OFF' repeater to a 'ends on ON' repeater.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 04:52:16 am »

It sounds like you need a system that instead of going: "...OFF, ON, OFF, ON, OFF"
goes : "...OFF, ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON"

So the repeater just needs to, when disabled, end its cycle in the "ON" state, rather than "off".

I have only minimal experience with mechanical logic systems though, so I don't know any specific design to share.

Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 06:20:01 am »

Why do you need them retracted? Is there a risk of dwarves falling on them, or is it just for aesthetics?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 08:13:25 pm »

If you post your current repeater design here, perhaps someone will be able to spot an easy tweak to it that will reverse it's inactive output state.  The not gate at the output sounds promising, but I wonder about the cycle limitations of not gates, and how much repeat frequency might have to be sacrificed for each specific not gate.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 05:40:11 am »

One option is a wave repeater. There are two possible ways to shut one of those down: drain the chamber to below the pressure plate threshold, or fill the chamber to above the threshold. Which you want will depend on how your pressure plate is set up, but both are quite quick and easy.