Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting underground?  (Read 1516 times)

TKR101010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting underground?
« on: September 20, 2021, 08:14:19 pm »

Does anyone know of a mod that allows one to start in the 1st cavern layer instead of the surface?

In a recent world I got it had a dwarven civ at the edge of the world map that was surrounded by high mountains. When I was starting a new fortress and checking out possible embark areas there was only like 5 map squares near them that would allow me to embark there. I don't know what restrictions dwarves have for embarking or crossing in high mountainous areas, but it seemed like that was probably the reason this civ only had only the single fortress after world creation and never expanded anywhere. I was thinking about embarking near them but on the side of the mountains open to the rest of the world and rp'ing this civ finally getting a group over the mountains to give the civ its freedom from the edge of the map. Then I was wondering how the immigrants where gonna get to us since it took this long for our group to get across the mountains. Then it occurred to me, We're drwarves! Why are we going OVER the mountains if there's three levels of expansive cave systems under every tile of the map? Why don't we travel UNDER the mountains and then dig up? If we want to anyway. Sure we may never be able to trade with anyone other than dwarves if we don't visit the surface, but we also don't have to be bothered by the elves.

Regardless of whether I would get immigrants or not in the regular game, I still like the idea of starting in the first cavern layer and if possible have immigrant waves and dwarf caravans arrive via the caverns. Anyone know of a mod or possible way to edit some game file to allow this?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting underground?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 08:19:39 pm »

Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

TKR101010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 08:31:44 pm »

That deep-embark command does look like it'd at least get my starting dwarfs there. :) Thanks

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 02:53:33 pm »

https://docs.dfhack.org/en/stable/docs/_auto/base.html#deep-embark and https://docs.dfhack.org/en/stable/docs/Plugins.html#embark-tools

I don't know how migrants or caravans or sieges react to using these.

They arrive on the surface.

Maybe DFHack's teleport command could be used to teleport them one by one underground, but that'd be quite tedious with a 200+ siege.

TKR101010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 05:52:51 pm »

They arrive on the surface.

Maybe DFHack's teleport command could be used to teleport them one by one underground, but that'd be quite tedious with a 200+ siege.

Teleporting the caravans is more effort than they'd be worth to me. Unless they're gonna leave via the underground route I'd just have to teleport them back up later. Optimally, if this were a fleshed out mod, only the dwarf caravans would arrive via the underground route and the other peoples would still arrive via the surface as per usual.

lol Why would I bother teleporting sieges? unless I'm going to teleport them to the top of a very deep shaft where they can only fall to their deaths so I can collect their stuff.

TKR101010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 05:02:27 pm »

Well, my first attempt with the deep-embark command didn't work out very well. Apparently when it's trying to find a spot to put your cart and dwarves it starts at the top of the cavern layer and puts you on the first available floor spot, regardless of whether it's just a single floor tile that ramps down to a broader spot or not. So when I embarked my dwarves were positions in the far northwest corner of the embark map and since there wasn't enough space for the cart it was broken and all my embark supplies were strewn all over the ground :(

Last night I generated a couple worlds after adjusting the openness and density of the caverns in the advanced world creation and will give those a try tonight to see if they work any better.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 03:19:57 am »

I regularly smash my wagon on a standard mountain embark in vanilla, it's not the end of the world. It's not like the wagon can be used for anything anyway. Having your equipment not turn up with you, or sink into a lake or a pool of lava is less fun, but you had all the stuff it was carrying arrive with you, so I see that as a win, really.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

TKR101010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 06:51:13 pm »

I regularly smash my wagon on a standard mountain embark in vanilla, it's not the end of the world. It's not like the wagon can be used for anything anyway. Having your equipment not turn up with you, or sink into a lake or a pool of lava is less fun, but you had all the stuff it was carrying arrive with you, so I see that as a win, really.

I generally smash up the wagon not too long after embarking as well. It's more the starting way in the corner of the embark map instead of nearer to the middle that I disliked more in my experiment.