Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water rushing down ramps  (Read 906 times)

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water rushing down ramps
« on: September 23, 2021, 08:46:19 am »

My last fort was coming along quite well, and my dwarves hauled *so* many stones...suddenly 4 undead goblins appear, the screen paused and I was advised to gather together my dwarves and run. It was then that I realized I didn't know how to force all my dwarves to go to a specific spot, 6 were killed almost instantly, the last one jumped in the river and drowned. Time to learn about early game defense strategies.

I watched some videos on drowning tanks and such. I was wondering, if I cave out a very large tank and fill it with water, if that water is released  rapidly (from multiple points in the bottom of the tank) to rush down a ramp that narrows towards the bottom into a channel; 1) will that flush enemies down the channel 2) if there is enough water, will the force of the rushing water do actual physical damage to enemies?

Thanks

Uli

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Water rushing down ramps
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 09:00:52 am »

Getting your dwarves in one area usually uses Burrows - check the wiki or videos for more info, as they're a bit complex. You can also put them in a military squad and order them to stand somewhere. This is usually good enough for the starting seven.

If you catch enemies with moving water it will push them. Tons of water can really push them hard and far. If there are walls/floors, the water can slam them into it, yes.

Keep in mind the type of enemy, though - this sort of trap is effective against living opponents, but undead don't really care if their arms get blown off by slamming into walls, and they can't drown, so you may need more to deal with them. Washing them down into the caverns or off a cliff may be enough, though.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 11:22:57 am »

Note that the burrows you want for an emergency are civilian alert burrows which you activate and all civilians (i.e. everyone not on duty) obey when they are activated (as opposed to the regular ones that result in freezing on the spot, cancellation spam, and whatnot. Civ alerts aren't perfect, though (dorfs still don't drop things hauled, so the slowly waddle back towards safety clutching the precious stone designated for the construction of a wall to stop this from happening, for instance).

Also note that DF water physics differ from the real world one. Water pressure depends only on the height of the water column (with U bend subtractions and depressurizing diagonals as complications) so narrowing a water tunnel does nothing apart from reducing the amount of water that can flow though it.

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 04:12:46 pm »

Thank you both for your response. Excellent to know about water pressure. I am watching some stuff about burrows now on youtube. I am probably not smart enough for this game but I keep on trying;
all craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 04:13:32 am »

Thank you both for your response. Excellent to know about water pressure. I am watching some stuff about burrows now on youtube. I am probably not smart enough for this game but I keep on trying;
all craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.

Regardless of what happens, if you can tell a cool story about it, then you are smart enough for this game!  ;D