Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark resources shocker/question!  (Read 786 times)

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark resources shocker/question!
« on: October 07, 2021, 01:14:02 am »

So I'm looking at the embark screen, setting up my new group of seven. And on the items tab? *No* land animal resources at all. No meat, no organs. I do have access to animals though. How the heck does this happen?? Fortunately I have fish and milk...

I did make some RAW tweaks, but nothing - that I can think of - that would affect being able to bring meat along.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark resources shocker/question!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 03:08:46 am »

It's probably some unexpected side effect from RAW tweaking.

I believe dorfs normally have access to all animals that are fully domesticated, so something has cause that to break.
I suggest reverting your hacks one after another to find which one caused it (you DO have backups of the original files, don't you).
I'd do this by renaming the modded file by appending .mod to it and removing the .org appended to the original file. Note that you have to change the suffix of the files or DF will read both versions and get duplicated versions of things, which tend to screw things up badly in various non intuitive ways (I don't understand why so many programs don't have any checks to detect the reading of duplicate sets of data, but it's not uncommon).

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 05:07:11 am »

If you have altered ethics, you may have made the dwarves vegetarian. No meat, no leather, not even wool.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 06:21:49 am »

You can also run a compare on the original files and your modded one - there're a few sites to do it quick and free.

Did you happen to remove butchery from the dwarf entity jobs?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 04:07:03 am by delphonso »

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 07:48:00 pm »

Well, it still has
Common_domestic_pack, common_domestic_pull, common_domestic_mount, common_domestic_pet, use_animal_products, still has permitted_job: Butcher. Didnt remove any reactions

ethic:kill_animal  is still set to acceptable.

Hrm, I did change 'ethic:kill_neutral' to be 'justified if in self defense'; I wouldnt think that would affect animals, since there is a separate kill_animal flag.. I will change that back to acceptable and see what happens in another world gen

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 07:59:26 pm »

Welp, changing ethic:kill_neutral back to acceptable didnt change things. New world still only has fish available

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 08:10:49 pm »

Alright, I figured it out - was trying to replicate modest mods 'consolidate meat' and must have missed something or input'd something incorrectly. reverting to the backup of some of the raws has fixed it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 08:39:53 pm »

Makes sense - they must have been butchering the animals and getting nothing in return. Poor guys.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 03:31:39 am »

"That was one thin mule, there's nothing left."
...."Why did I become a butcher?"
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!