Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to modding, where do I start? (Utility creation, not game changing)  (Read 880 times)

KhanSimeoni

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello,
I've recently gotten into Dwarf Fortress, but I've found that the required super computer needed to play the game for any meaningful amount of time means that my options for playing while away from home are quite limited.

I figured this could be solved with a server and a plugin for remote play, and while I have the former there dont seem to be any options for it besides a normal remote access program, which often have serious input delay issues. I figured with the ASCII format of the game, it would be more than possible to simply pick what tiles are shown where on the screen and send that to my dinky laptop.

I dont have any experiance with DF modding or utility creation, and some pointers to some documentation would be great!

Thanks!

(Also, I am aware of the DFanywhere utility what was created, but it doesn't seem to work anymore and its horribly outdated)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: New to modding, where do I start? (Utility creation, not game changing)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 09:48:12 am »

DFPlex / webfort allow you to set up a DF server. I sadly haven’t tried them out myself, but I imagine they are faster than remote computer access.

I would also like to add that the technical requirements for running DF are often overstated, especially if you stick to smaller embark sizes, smaller worlds, and fewer pets running around your fort. See Blind who has kept his Longdeath fort for a few centuries with no FPS issues. Then again, my experience of ”dinky laptops” had them struggle with those smaller forts as well, so I’m not saying your need is unfounded.