Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can i start swimming?  (Read 1697 times)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can i start swimming?
« on: February 27, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

I've been swimming alright, but suddenly my char decided it was time to get hungry... and started drowning at the same time.
I ate sth, and resumed moving... but my char wont swim. i'm still drowning. what to do?!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can i start swimming?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:46:00 pm »

What's your swimming skill? I understand Novice Swimmers can "panic" and start drowning under certain circumstances, like falling into the water and being stunned. Perhaps hunger also makes them panic.

Otherwise, did you somehow end up swimming underwater? [l]ook up and down to see. If you are, I think you can surface or dive with <and> respectively.

My money is on the Novice Swimmer Panic, though.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 08:40:00 pm »

I thought novice was enough... didn't get a "panic-msg" either.

Made a new one after drowning the last. Chose swimmer this time  :)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »

Yeah, I don't think there is any panic message. What I know of swimming-panic was from the wiki:
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Swimming

It seems accurate but I usually take Not Swimmer or Swimmer but not inbetween.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »

Wait an hour after eating before getting in the water, otherwise you'll get bad cramps. That's what my parents always told me, anyway.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 10:35:00 am »

Best (non-exploiting) way to safely train up swimming, dabbling, novice, or otherwise:

Find a waterfall, go to the very edge and hop down into the water. It'll only be 2-3 /7 tiles deep since it's spilling over the edge.

Then, just... run against the current. If you start drowning, run back to the edge. Chances are the water will keep pushing you back until you get up to professional swimmer, though. When you're done, [T]ravel out, since you can't scale the river edges unless swimming.

However, if you're in a hurry, and don't want to bother...
Get novice swimming, go to a warm climate, find a nice river or water-laden temple, and take a nap underwater. It's pretty cheap, but if you're not inclined to earn swimming points for the sake of fodder adventurers, it serves nicely.

Sorry if this isn't directly on topic, but I figured it would be helpful.

Bryan Baywood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:03:00 pm »

Forgot about the panic thing myself. :P

Then I realized jumping into a river with a bunch of zombie fish might make my novice swimmer panic, and that's why she drowned and died.