Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military question (uniforms: bone armor) Schedules, Civ job conflicts  (Read 754 times)

Urist Lovestone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

47.05 from 47.04 change, Previous edition .04 - equipping bone armor I had success adding it as select >material:metal >color:white
This time around none of the squads was putting it on they'd equip a leather armor/high boots. I was swapping between 3 different squads adding or removing select metal meterial for Bone Greaves, Bone Guantlets, & Bone helmet. (full uniform Bone helmet, Leather armor, Bone Gauntlet, Leather high boots, Bone Greaves. At some point removing Meterial:Metal from the equip list but leaving Color White selections seems to be working. Some of this was in conflict with scheduling.

1st squad Busybodies (doctor, trader ect.) I want them to train once a month every 3 months that's mostly working without problem.
Problem started with Squad 2&3 Miners1a/Miners1b. First squad would run and put on what it would put on. I selected Replace Clothing and always wear armor when inactive for all 3.
Miners I wanted scheduled for 2 months on, 2 months off. At the start of their month they weren't doing anything, then I noticed at their schedule once I worked out a few settings they'd run and put on their armor (usually all of it) dropping their clothes anywhere running buck naked through the fort to the main generic stockpile at the front of the fort that'll get sorted out later as it grows. Eventually I got squad 2&3 to do this every time their schedule would come up, but once they had 2 months with nothing they'd strip butt naked again and put on civ clothes again. I'm not sure if some of them are crying because of how horribly boring they feel their life is, or because they're slinking around naked but quite a lot of them equipped with nothing but tears trying to sort this out. I'm not sure if it's funny they just spontainously decide to throw off clothes 4Z levels away from the stock pile and cry running naked through the place, or if they were crying for a sad reason I need to work on. Back to the point, they seemed a lot happier thoughts from the practicing fighting in squads that on the 2 months off when they'd grab their civilian clothes despite being told to replace all clothes with armor and wear it when inactive they decided to hang out in the barracks and spar instead of mining at all.

I looked at the barracks and realized I had 2 of beds/containers/cabinets both set as barracks in the same room space once I removed the redundant second set of setting it as barracks with Sleep/train/individual equip/squad equip from the extra pieces of furniture and just left all of those options designated from 1 bed/container instead of 2, immediately one of the squads started mining. Once I added cabinets/armor rack/ weapon rack it seems like they've all gone back to sparring instead of mining in their off time with civilian clothes again.

Part of my question is, is there a job conflict with armor that they won't wear it in their off time? I wanted to use my miners as a quick reaction force that wears armor all the time and just goes grabs a better pick to fight if something savage and small pops up till I complete the rest of the barrack's and assign the other labours squads. (I wanted 2 squads for every important job: Sort of like 1 cook on squad one, 1 cook on squad 2 everyone works for 2 months, takes 2 months off just train in wrestling or whatever with bone armor and leather. Then make dedicated military with metal and what not. Do Miners/lumberjacks/hunters have to have just a civilian set of clothes without armor they'll wear full time when not training?
Second question
Are these guys just training because they like it, or did I bungle something up in settings from the barracks furniture? I don't mind if they're enjoying training instead of mining right now if it improves their stress or whatever but I'm confused if it's a situation they like doing it which I'm fine with, or I just screwed up their job orders because I do want them to go back to digging things eventually.

I've been using the 2 mining squads (mostly due to lack of materials) as a test for setting up the other squads. Ideally 2 squads share a barracks alternating whom is in it, 2 months 1 squad uses it, then gets out and the other squad uses it for 2 months. I figured this way my dworfs might be happier, and it'll make the important figures that do business that keep the fort running less squishy if they get attacked. I'm confused because with the other squad is wearing their armor full time even when not training. So I'm not entirely confident this will work or not with the other squads I'm setting up or if there is just a special exception to the job role of miners.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military question (uniforms: bone armor) Schedules, Civ job conflicts
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 09:04:27 am »

There are definitely problems with putting miners/woodcutters into military, because of conflicts with their main weapon. I’m not exactly sure what goes wrong because I usually don’t even try doing that anymore.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 11:19:45 am »

Most dorfs are ashamed of walking around naked, so that's the main reason for the crying.

As DwarfStar said, professions equipped with weapons have an implicit uniform that conflicts with the military one. If you want those dorfs to train you basically have to remove their profession while they're assigned to training and restore it afterwards or you'll get issues.

Dorfs sufficiently trained (lvl 2?) will spend almost all their off time on individual training rather than working if they are assigned to barracks, so either you go for professional full time squads who can cram in some socializing/praying/... in between the individual training during their "off" time, or you have to assign barracks as they go on duty and remove the squad from the barracks as they go off (or have a fortress where little work gets done as everyone are training most of the time).

Not wearing the uniform while off duty is rather bad, as the buggers can take a month just to replace the equipment when going on duty (it's presumably faster when going off duty, as all the stuff should be in a pile where they dropped it, but it still takes time).

Bone isn't a metal, so I think you're misremembering. To get bone you set up the type of equipment and then the color.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 12:02:31 pm »

One good thing about miners is, they usually don't have much trouble defending themselves, because they use their miner skill when attacking with a pick. Plus they get pretty buff.