Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Calculation of number of products in job manager screen  (Read 728 times)

MVladO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Calculation of number of products in job manager screen
« on: August 13, 2021, 03:04:17 am »

Hi.
I have used work manager to control number of containers and clothes produced in my fortress, or so I thought.
I have figured that ordering clothes production restricted by number of f.e. already stored shirts capping at 10 will be a great way to produce new items, only when dorfs wear out old ones. The order was validated so I concluded that items worn by dwarves do not count into product restriction numbers. Was I wrong here?
I applied the same logic to containers - I assumed that barrels and bines used to store items outside of container stockpiles, disappear from the product restrictions, leaving only unused, empty containers only, to be counted towards product cap. Then I noticed I was having a container shortage and raised production limits to way higher - and it  resolved itself as if barrels and bines even in jobs and stockpiles were blocking new production.
I cannot find compelling information on how exactly are products reductions counted.
What are your ways to automate clothes/ container production without causing overproduction? I am playing on laptop and trying to avoid fps death by items

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calculation of number of products in job manager screen
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 03:51:25 am »

One of the first orders I set up is an order that produces 5 barrels if there are less than 10 empty storage containers and at least 10 logs, restarting daily.

Use the manager to queue up a job to produce 5 barrels, scroll through the list to highlight the order, hit ‘c’ to add conditions, hit ‘p’ to add conditions based on products, hit ‘q’ until the inequality changes to “less than” (the amount should already be 10), hit ‘t’ to select traits,  scroll down to “empty items” and hit ‘enter’, then hit ‘r’ to add conditions based on reagents.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 03:58:16 am »

Clothing owned by a dwarf is not counted, and clothing in a TSK'ed container is not counted.

For barrels/bins, like Curious_Cat mentioned, you need to set the trait to "empty", or it counts partially-filled containers that are not assigned to a stockpile. My orders for "make more barrels" usually is like "make 8 wood barrels when there is less than 2 empty plant barrels" and that works for large forts. When there are log shortages, I see the error messages and order more tree-killings.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 07:35:06 am »

For clothing I don't think owned clothes (both ones a dwarf is wearing and ones they've stored in their rooms) count towards the production limit, but ones which have become damaged and been discarded do get counted. To solve this problem you just have to destroy all the damaged clothing, but that's easier said than done because there's no way to filter by wear level.

The solution I use is to have a "new clothes" stockpile which is linked to the clothiers' workshops and is set to take from links only, and a "discarded clothes" stockpile which is set to take from everywhere else. Enable the refuse category on the "discarded clothes" pile in order to hugely accelerate the decay of items placed there. Even masterwork clothes can be allowed to decay like that without producing a negative thought.
Unfortunately some undamaged clothing (including anything from invaders/traders) will end up in the refuse pile, but that seems unavoidable. Just build a silk farm so you have sufficient production to ignore any losses.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 03:45:46 pm »

We tend to use glass and rock pots rather than barrels (more dorfy!) and I just have a stockpile of empty pots near the kitchens. When it starts looking empty, I have more pots made. When it's full, I don't have more pots made.

I just sell my rags. I try to make a clothing drive each year, and the dwarves get changed, scattering clothes. When the caravan turns up, we have a "rag and bone" moment where every XCloakX and xxsockxx and XXdressXX gets carried to the caravan, and sold, and sent away. Had a terrible time during a siege recently where it built up for a bit, but we didn't experience FPS death by a long shot and when the caravan came around next year we were able to buy a huge amount of stuff from the caravan with nothing but torn shoes and threadbare trousers....

It's such a pity we can't make rags into paper, like in the real world. Would add a layer to the story if you were forced to pulp undamaged clothing, because Urist McMoody needed more paper...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!