Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to make a creature with an external skeleton?  (Read 1133 times)

Mysterious Tree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how to make a creature with an external skeleton?
« on: July 26, 2021, 12:01:27 pm »

ive been trying to make this for a good bit now but i have no clue how to do this. there are no creatures with an external skeleton in the raws except for procedurally generated ones but i dont know how to obtain their data and that would also be too much data anyway. also just to get the confusion out of the way, i dont want an exoskeleton, i want a skeleton on the outside of the body to serve as natural armor, so there is also still tissue like skin underneath the skeleton. i think i can do this with messing around with body detail plans but so far everything ive tried has failed. especially since this would be my first time actually delving into the mess that body detail plans look like to me...

would someone be so kind as to provide some lines that would give a creature an external skeleton or tell me how to give a creature an external skeleton?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how to make a creature with an external skeleton?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 01:30:52 pm »

My memory isn't 100% intact, but if you simply reverse the order of the body_detail_plan materials you are using in a arguement from left to right, it'll generate bones on the outsides, then you can shift the position of skin etc.

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:BONE:CARTILAGE:SKIN:MUSCLE:FAT]

Something like this, just check the tissue layers are correct, most outward material starts at the beginning of the arguement.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 03:10:00 pm »

I think if you just reverse the order of tissue layers then you'll end up with some kind of bone exoskeleton which covers the entire creature.

There's a definition for [BODY:RCP_RIBS_EXTERNAL] in body_rcp.txt and you can see some examples of how those RCP definitions are used in the example raws sections of the werebeast and night troll pages on the wiki.
It seems to mostly just be a matter of replacing [INTERNAL] with [EMBEDDED]. I'm not sure if this changes anything else about how the bones work though.

Mysterious Tree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 03:31:28 pm »

My memory isn't 100% intact, but if you simply reverse the order of the body_detail_plan materials you are using in a arguement from left to right, it'll generate bones on the outsides, then you can shift the position of skin etc.

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:BONE:CARTILAGE:SKIN:MUSCLE:FAT]

Something like this, just check the tissue layers are correct, most outward material starts at the beginning of the arguement.

im trying this now but the game is behaving in a very weird way
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:BONE:BONE:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
as you can see i have to duplicate the bone token for it to actually hit the bones for some reason, otherwise it will just go to the next tissue which would be the skin. i dont know why that is but it does worry me slightly because i dont want 2 external skeletons. this is the same with the cartilage. if i put BONE and then CARTILAGE all attacks will only hit the cartilage for some reason and i dont know why

edit: the only difference that i have noticed is that every attack seems to do a lot more damage. punching a neck for example now leaves quite the mess...

edit 2: completely removing the bone token after this duplicate token issue also does not make this go away. instead all attacks now go directly to the muscle instead of the skin...

edit 3: the only way ive managed to now solve this is by doing this
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:PLACEHOLDER:PLACEHOLDER:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
with this method all attacks do once again go to the skin. i dont understand why this happens especially since it only started to happen after i started messing with this token. a game restart does not solve it and after this bug comes into the picture it applies to every single other creature...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 04:01:01 pm by Mysterious Tree »

Mysterious Tree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 03:33:10 pm »

I think if you just reverse the order of tissue layers then you'll end up with some kind of bone exoskeleton which covers the entire creature.

There's a definition for [BODY:RCP_RIBS_EXTERNAL] in body_rcp.txt and you can see some examples of how those RCP definitions are used in the example raws sections of the werebeast and night troll pages on the wiki.
It seems to mostly just be a matter of replacing [INTERNAL] with [EMBEDDED]. I'm not sure if this changes anything else about how the bones work though.

as for the rcp bodies, there isnt enough in here, at least that i know of, to make a whole skeleton. the only things that are bones are the skull, ribs, spine and upper spine and that is it and i lack the knowledge to create something for myself

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 04:10:44 pm »

Doesn't bone have quite a lot of pain receptors, so covering a creature with a layer of bone would make it more prone to give into pain (unless the creature feels no pain)?

Mysterious Tree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 04:22:09 pm »

that is something i also noticed because the creatures gave into the pain extremely easily but right now im more focused on this bug that seems to have surfaced. restarting the game doesnt seem to get rid of it even though it has absolutely no reason for persisting so unless i manage to solve this bug or at least stop it from reappearing this experiment is a complete failure anyway

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 05:14:45 pm »

that is something i also noticed because the creatures gave into the pain extremely easily but right now im more focused on this bug that seems to have surfaced. restarting the game doesnt seem to get rid of it even though it has absolutely no reason for persisting so unless i manage to solve this bug or at least stop it from reappearing this experiment is a complete failure anyway

You can quickly substitute the skin (bones, muscle etc anything) for something of your own by making edits to tissue_template.txt & material_template.txt for respective tissues and materials and then raising the creature toughness and willpower attribute to make them more dense, and resistant to pain. Right now i use it to create creatures who have hides of different densities to make their squishier parts (face, toes, eyes etc) more stabble.

Code: [Select]
[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN:BY_TOKEN:UB] // upper body - directly relates to what is defined.
    [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:SKIN:((alternative tissue here))]

Or mass define to cover the entire body by removing and re-adding it (below), as tokens lower down in a space with omitted arguements accept new fields. My example above overlaps the generalization underneath with selectivity, lower down in the file, so it'd bother to generate the mass tissue, then focus on the specific ones.

Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:SKIN]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SKIN:((your tissue))_TEMPLATE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:SKIN]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SKIN:((your tissue))_TEMPLATE]

Definitely follow other advice though to ensure that your inside out creature doesn't end up with tokens where they shouldnt be and end up suffering for it, or possibly build a skeletal creature body plan template just for yourself to speed up the process.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 11:45:38 am »

also just to get the confusion out of the way, i dont want an exoskeleton, i want a skeleton on the outside of the body to serve as natural armor, so there is also still tissue like skin underneath the skeleton.
There's nothing stopping you from defining a body detail plan that includes both an exoskeleton and an internal skeleton - besides, I suspect that an actual "external skeleton" (e.g. external ribs) would be unlikely to provide much protection against attacks.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 11:48:24 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.