Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Please help with fixing display - menu size  (Read 816 times)

lysergium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Please help with fixing display - menu size
« on: July 15, 2021, 11:42:50 am »

Hello, please help

introductory info:
1. I got really used to playing with spacefox tileset, on TWBT graphics mode, with multilevel view.
2. I always used it, rarely experiencing the infamous TWBT crash, but lately i cannot get through a month without crashing.

Problem:
1. Using Standard graphics, the menu size is INSANE
2. If i zoom out, so the menu shrinks, the dwarves and tiles are too small to play comfortably.
3. If i zoom to where the dwarves are not too big or small, the menu takes up 35% of the screen.
4. I copied over the init settings and art from TWBT init and folder, to the regular init and art folder. This did not help with the menu to display ratio at all.

Does everyone just play with with a third of their screen not usable, and are just used to it? The graphics also appear kinda slightly fuzzy, blurry, compared to TWBT.
What do I do, to adjust the display size to menu ration?
I'm fine with losing the multi-level view functionality, and even getting used to a different tileset if i have to, but there is no way i can play with only the left part of my screen usable.
Fixing the TWBT crash, would be a solution, but i assumed that's impossible at this moment.

Here is what i want the menu size to be:
https://ibb.co/nRh2mpz
Here is what i want my dwarf size to be:
https://ibb.co/xDG08wk

Is this possible?
Being able to adjust menu and graphics independently would be very smart and convenient. therefore, i assume it will never happen...
Thanks in advance, for any help or advice!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please help with fixing display - menu size
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 11:56:06 am »

Roll your mousewheel to go in and out.

lysergium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 02:51:20 pm »

I know...
This changes the display and menu size at the same time.
That's the whole issue.
I did not find a way, in the key-bindings, to zoom, without changing the menu size as well, is this possible?
Because i don't have seperate zooms for menu size, and graphics size

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 07:55:42 am »

As far as I'm aware there's currently no way to do that. The menus and "graphics" use the same grid, so rescaling one will always rescale the other.
Once the graphical update arrives the menu rendering will be decoupled from the graphics rendering so it should be possible to resize them independently.

The only advice I can give is to try finding a tileset with simpler graphics which is more legible at smaller sizes.
ASCII is very legible even at small sizes which is one of the reasons I like it, but there's probably some happy middle ground between detail and abstraction.

lysergium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 07:57:31 am »

Damn, thanks for the info.

I wish TWBT didn't cause crashes, multilevel view is also awesome.
I'll see what i can do

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 03:50:16 pm »

This question was asked before forgot where but basically you press escape so it brings up the menu for return to game, save game, retire fort etc then roll your mousewheel there this changes just the menu size and not affect the actual size of the graphics on display for your game. Cheers

EDIT: looking at your images I think the behavior on my game is different but you may want to try still.

uploading a gif of it in action

if its not working for you, maybe its a function from dfhack? idk but the game im on is on a somewhat older version of lazy newb pack.

EDIT 2: It was a function of dfhack. I tried disabling dfhack to see if it behaves the same and it resized the game display as well as the menu. but unfortunately im not familiar with the new version dfhack so you may want to ask around in the dfhack thread

EDIT 3: Nvm im an idiot I didnt read your post properly. you already know its a function from TWBT. its early morning where I live im not fully functioning yet lol sorry about that.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 04:32:16 pm by em312s0n »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 02:36:50 am »

It should be mentioned that the key to reset everything is F10.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.