Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noble not a Noble now  (Read 1150 times)

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
Noble not a Noble now
« on: July 02, 2021, 08:02:56 am »

I had a captain of the guard nominated for Baroness who became a Countess.

There was a Cyclops.

The squad also had a necromancer trapper hammerdwarf.

The fight with the cyclops included fighting many undead dog parts and the undead Cyclops over 10 times.  The first raising of the cyclops appended its name to Frozen hunter. on the 9th(?) killing of the Cyclops Frozen Hunter, the Countess appended her name with Frozen hunter, left the Squad and dropped all her titles. She is now just 'Sodel Oslankasben Carpenter Frozen hunter.'

Basically I dont have a clue what happened.

Anyone have any idea if she will remember being a Noble?
What Does a Frozen Hunter do?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noble not a Noble now
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 11:56:41 am »

Your noble was killed in the fight and raised as an intelligent undead by the necromancer. "Frozen Hunter" is the procedurally generated name for that kind of intelligent undead, and I don't know if there's any kind of association between the name and possible abilities that undead kind has. Since the noble died, the title has been passed on to someone else (or should be, anyway), but that someone doesn't have to live in your fortress.

You've now got an undead member of your fortress, with the advantages and disadvantages of that. Undead probably won't fight it, or at least not target it unless attacked, and it probably won't run screaming from undead, nor get killed by drowning (but probably won't path through water anyway). It won't eat and won't drink by itself (but may or may not drink when served in a tavern), and thus will have trouble fulfilling ingestion related needs, and probably won't need to sleep, and probably can't reproduce. Note the uncertainty in this, as I've never had any intelligent undead fortress members myself.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 07:44:16 am »

Connections like marriage (de-escalate to 'friends') and assumedly now noble positions don't persist post death, pregnancies for instance are terminated too.

Its been passed on offsite to the next egible heir or appointee (like a cousin or nephew), but you can't call this dwarf who's a baron of your fort in, just like how dwarves who inherit titles from abroad in your fort don't have any particular influence over the far away site but still mandate to boss the current site around.

Open a issue report maybe if you feel inclined.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 01:00:24 pm »

Thanks for the info.

Ive was scouring the reports to figure out what happened. One minute she was the countess then 2 lines of text later shes the frozen hunter.  No report of her death. The Dwarf necromancer must've resurected her as she fell, so nobody saw a body.

Well thats 1 Noble I dont have to try to please anymore.  Intellegent undead eh, needs a special purpose me thinks.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 01:29:43 pm »

You've now got an undead member of your fortress, with the advantages and disadvantages of that. Undead probably won't fight it, or at least not target it unless attacked, and it probably won't run screaming from undead, nor get killed by drowning (but probably won't path through water anyway). It won't eat and won't drink by itself (but may or may not drink when served in a tavern), and thus will have trouble fulfilling ingestion related needs, and probably won't need to sleep, and probably can't reproduce. Note the uncertainty in this, as I've never had any intelligent undead fortress members myself.

I've got two corrupted corpses in my fort, former inhabitants that got killed and reanimated.

At least one of them is badly distracted from not eating and/or drinking, with the blinking yellow arrow.  I don't know if my poisoner has tried serving them drinks.  Both of them I've been able to assign to my speardwarf squad (I think both were speardwarves before dying), and they do basic hauling and construction tasks when off duty.  Corrupted corpses have an ability to sicken enemies, though that's of dubious usefulness.  They also seem to have boosted physical stats, because some of the enemy corrupted corpses I killed were pretty tough.  I had a bunch of goblin corrupted corpses milling around outside, but they got eventually slaughtered by two minotaurs.  They were okay defenses against megabeasts, but they ignored goblin sieges.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath