Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238]

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 406649 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3555 on: June 19, 2024, 04:57:43 pm »

I've been thinking a lot about bans on these forums. A lot of them have been forum game players(not saying a high %, just a handful in some years...). No one I was especially familiar with, but it did still sting to suck a player suddenly out of a campaign. That's the thing, they were always so well behaved (I assume) in Forum Games & Roleplaying, but at least within my games. Any bad actors have only been people I am very familiar with. Anyway, it just kinda had me thinking...idk, maybe there could be a restricted access punishment. I know "rewarding" people with still being able to play forum games may seem too generous...and yet?

I feel people behave well in forum games, idk why. I think it's a release valve, and there is this respect to not poison the drinking water. I think the games themselves can be a place where someone can pick up an axe, chop down some lizardmen and work through some issues. Forum games are healing!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: July 01, 2024, 04:47:08 am »

As someone who has been around in Forum Games and Roleplaying since time immemorial, you overestimate the power of forum games to stop bad actors, and you aren't thinking at all about the effect that allowing bad actors on the table has on your other players who don't want to interact with them. To think that you can fix them with a good forum game is demanding your players interact with someone they know to be acting in bad faith and that is hideously unfair.

Moreover, if your players keep getting banned for being, to be blunt, assholes to the community at large, you probably need  better players. I have never had this problem in over a decade of GMing, and I can say the same for many of my peers. If someone is a turd elsewhere in the community, it is more than likely they will be a turd, if not to the guy in charge, then to other people they can get away with it to (your other players).

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: July 11, 2024, 01:10:51 am »

I've been thinking a lot about bans on these forums. A lot of them have been forum game players(not saying a high %, just a handful in some years...). No one I was especially familiar with, but it did still sting to suck a player suddenly out of a campaign. That's the thing, they were always so well behaved (I assume) in Forum Games & Roleplaying, but at least within my games. Any bad actors have only been people I am very familiar with. Anyway, it just kinda had me thinking...idk, maybe there could be a restricted access punishment. I know "rewarding" people with still being able to play forum games may seem too generous...and yet?

I feel people behave well in forum games, idk why. I think it's a release valve, and there is this respect to not poison the drinking water. I think the games themselves can be a place where someone can pick up an axe, chop down some lizardmen and work through some issues. Forum games are healing!
Yeah games can help people improve upon themselves such as healing. Also that picture is really cute.

As someone who has been around in Forum Games and Roleplaying since time immemorial, you overestimate the power of forum games to stop bad actors, and you aren't thinking at all about the effect that allowing bad actors on the table has on your other players who don't want to interact with them. To think that you can fix them with a good forum game is demanding your players interact with someone they know to be acting in bad faith and that is hideously unfair.

Moreover, if your players keep getting banned for being, to be blunt, assholes to the community at large, you probably need  better players. I have never had this problem in over a decade of GMing, and I can say the same for many of my peers. If someone is a turd elsewhere in the community, it is more than likely they will be a turd, if not to the guy in charge, then to other people they can get away with it to (your other players).
Thank you for your perspective. That is a good point on how a bad actor can be bad to other players. Maybe a bad actor might refrain from doing bad actions to the game master because the game master holds a position of authority in the game.
Max avatar size is 80x80

SCREE

• Bay Watcher
  • Delicious Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: July 28, 2024, 11:11:42 am »

Do people typically play tabletop games here on the forum, like DnD and Call of Cthuhlu and the like?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: July 28, 2024, 11:56:36 am »

People have played a few here, but the biggest problem is that the pace of a Play-by-Post game is glacial. People usually get tired and just quit. Often times, it’s the GM.

The turn-based combat of DnD is especially poorly suited to a forum in my opinion, because each player turn kickstarts a new round of waiting. If players are in multiple time-zones a single round-of combat may take multiple days to resolve. Games with simultaneous turn resolution tend to perform better in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 11:58:33 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

SCREE

• Bay Watcher
  • Delicious Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: July 28, 2024, 02:22:28 pm »

People have played a few here, but the biggest problem is that the pace of a Play-by-Post game is glacial. People usually get tired and just quit. Often times, it’s the GM.

The turn-based combat of DnD is especially poorly suited to a forum in my opinion, because each player turn kickstarts a new round of waiting. If players are in multiple time-zones a single round-of combat may take multiple days to resolve. Games with simultaneous turn resolution tend to perform better in my opinion.

Thanks for this, food for thought. I play Old School Essentials which is an older style of DND that doesn't have individual initiative, so it might be more compatible. That being said, it would suck for people to spend a bunch of time building characters only for it to be clear pretty quickly that things would move too slow.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: July 29, 2024, 01:14:53 pm »

I've run DnD based dungon crawlers, and they had to be room based with short rounds.
While up dates might be 24 hours, a 72 hour window is more likey.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238]