Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fighter Skill - Negative Effect?  (Read 7972 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter Skill - Negative Effect?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 07:19:11 am »

So if counterattacks are to blame, then tests vs. animals and monsters should show fighters having a higher survival rate vs. beasts than simple weapon skill users.

Well that would be reletive to the beasts in question ability to counter.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 09:27:48 am »

That would also explain why Fighter helped with wrestlers, as there are no counters in wrestling...

Ok, so I tested by having a dwarf with Fighter and Weapon Skill (FAWS) vs a dwarf with Weapon Skill only (WSO). WSO won.

It appears that every strike of the FAWS dwarf was parried, and all but one of the WSO's hits was parried (Presumably because the FAWS dwarf was already injured and less able to block it). However, it also appears that the FAWS dwarf was less able to counterattack than the WSO dwarf. Out of 3 counterable hits from the FAWS dwarf, the WSO dwarf countered all of them. Out of 4 counterable hits from the WSO dwarf none got counterattacks from the FAWS dwarf. Also of note was that the WSO dwarf got 2 stick-ins and the FAWS dwarf none.

Here is the full combat report:

Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 10:06:06 am »

Hmm, so Dwarf 2 can parry (and counterstrike) even when his weapon is lodged in his opponent's body.

I'd put this down as a bug in itself.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 11:42:30 am »

So basically if I understand correctly fighter does following things:

* Increases your chance to hit with melee attacks.
* Increases your chance to dodge attacks.
* Lowers time to execute melee attacks.
* Makes you worse at using melee weapons.
* Causes counterattacks to be devastating.

I also noticed while playing adventure mode that having a fighter skill describes my parry skill levels with weapons I currently wield to be higher than my current weapon level.

Parrying basically forces parried opponent to recover from failed attack attempt however like one of you said (and I noticed that while playing too) the one who parries successfully does not receive any "recovery frames".

I think fighter skill increases skill in parrying in all weapons by 1 every 3 levels. Upon becoming a legendary fighter you are guaranteed to be proficient at parrying with weapons you never touched.

Wait, did we just assumed fighter to be making better dodging? IT IS MY DESTINY TO WRESTLE AS NECROMANCER UNTIL DEATH BY THEIR STARVATION EVERY BIRD

Somebody needs to do this for entire in-game day and than as a creature with no dodging skills try to dance to Hydra or other megabeast.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2021, 01:41:01 pm »

May as well just retitle this skill into "Duelist" then, since that is what it seems to be geared towards, but yeah, having it too high is kind of sucky when took into consideration some other findings.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2021, 12:04:35 am »

11 years later and it turns out, we only had more questions to offer!

start a new thread, I think you already did, and let this one slumber
Pages: 1 [2]