Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Covering holes in a magma piston  (Read 727 times)

RelaxAyax

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Covering holes in a magma piston
« on: June 27, 2021, 08:26:42 am »

I'm making a magma piston to finally get my metal industry going, thing is that this piston only goes thru a couple of dwarf made holes that i digged to find gems and stuff. Can i cover this with walls? Maybe magma safe walls? idk.

I still have a ton of questions about magma pistons, but I figured I'll just tried it before i get a headache. And also, i barely have any metal bars to make minecarts.

Thanks a lot.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Covering holes in a magma piston
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 08:38:17 am »

Walls, both natural and constructed, are by default magma-safe. You can use any rock you happen to have laying around.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that ice is a special case, it does in fact melt when magma flows next to it. Even in that case, the actual temperatures are ignored, and ice will to my knowledge even melt with the temperature calculations disabled.

Obligatory safety reminder: Make sure the piston doesn't get used during maintenance, and that all scaffolding is removed and all access doors closed before using it again.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 07:04:23 am by Mobbstar »

RelaxAyax

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Covering holes in a magma piston
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 08:46:10 am »

Walls, both natural and constructed, are by default magma-safe. You can use any rock you happen to have laying around.

Obligatory safety reminder: Make sure the piston doesn't get used during maintenance, and that all scaffolding is removed and all access doors closed before using it again.

Thank you very much! Im gonna try to finish this damn thing today.