Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how do u update dwarf fortress?  (Read 1004 times)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
how do u update dwarf fortress?
« on: June 24, 2021, 08:43:52 pm »

i downloaded dwarf fortress with perridixerrants starter pack and a bunch of updates have come out since then and i have no idea how to update without re installing dwarf fortress and making a new world.  please help.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: how do u update dwarf fortress?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 08:52:37 pm »

There's unfortunately no way to "update" Dwarf Fortress without re-installing at the moment since each new version is technically an entirely separate game, but fortunately bringing old worlds into newer versions is a pretty simple matter. Go into data of the old version, then look for your world under the save folder and copy and paste it into the corresponding folder in the data of the newer version. Hopefully that helps.

Once the Steam version comes around, updating the game should become much less of a hassle.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 08:58:11 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 10:43:06 pm »

Re-installing the game is the best way to go. Trying to only update sections of it is rife with danger that you will destroy your entire set and have to start again anyway. At least if you get a new download, you don't loose everything, and can always go to an old install to check what you did in the past. I've got well over a decade of games in my hard drive, I just put the old version in a folder and make it new when the update comes out. There's a 2D version somewhere in there, I think. Unless I didn't keep that version.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 03:31:58 am »

As already mentioned, install the new version, copy the save(s) (each save is a folder named regionX, where X is a number in the data/saves folder), and adjust the settings to the same as those you used previously (don't copy those files across, as things may have changed), including tile set selections.
With the starter pack you can start both the old and the new starter pack console so you can compare the previous settings to those of the new version and thus adjust them to match, but some init file adjustments and raw changes you've made will have to be redone manually.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 05:47:52 am »

if you want to do it the old school way, without the starter pack, it's really not too complex. save any custom tilesets from your art folder, and any modded raw files you want to bring to the new version, and finally make note of any init or dfinit settings you have adjusted. d/l the newest version and throw in the tilesets, modded files, and make the quick few edits to the init file and you're good to go. If you like DFhack you just d/l the appropriate version

nothing quite like a clean DF install.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 06:13:52 am »

Please note that all features of new updates might not be available when transferring an old world/save over to a newer version.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 07:15:38 pm »

ok thanks for the help! :)
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.