Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Welcome to the End  (Read 2468 times)

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Welcome to the End
« on: June 21, 2021, 04:14:59 pm »

So, all you dwarves of Metuluzol, welcome to your new normal. There are only thirteen of you, survivors of the Elven attack that just happened two months ago. We have such a grand fortress. Two years old and we are already a barony. There is much to be done. Who would have known that when we caught that elven bastard attempting to steal our newest artifact, that all of the elves in the fort would come to his defense? We few survived. We lost over 100 dwarves. We must get them interred into proper resting grounds. Hopefully a new migrant wave will come before the elves attack.

OOC: This is the first fort I've done where something like this has ever happened. We caught an elf visitor attempting to steal the artifact that we had only just put on the pedestal in the main hall. Sent the on duty squad to deal with him and he happened apparently to be friends with the elven diplomat who was also there to scream at us about trees. Well he went nuts and started attacking my hammerdwarves, which was a very bad idea. The Captain of the Guard quickly dispatched him, and then all the fragging elves in the main hall went nuts and started a killing spree, as did the guards of the caravan. Thirteen survivors, will they survive? Will reinforcements come? I seriously have no idea, but I figured this might be interesting.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the End
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 04:54:08 pm »

Update two: Our cast of characters for now. If you want to be dorfed, let me know. I've decided I want to try my hand at making this a bit of a thing.

Firstly, I will mention the one most interesting to me, Kogan Babfikod Arcethshoveth (Petglazed the Strategic Mysteries). This undead lost stalker is only 61 years old, with 39 total kills. He is apparently quite mad at another undead, Baldnessliver the Sweet Immortal, whom he has killed 13 different times! Despite this, his actual skills are in dancing, of which his skill is legendary. During the Elven Assault, one of the elves was a necromancer and brought a bunch of corpses to life. This beast of a dwarf smashed through those undead, killing Baldnessliver once again among many others. Hopefully Baldnessliver will remain dead.

Next: Iteb Nekutatir, our Broker and now lead miner. He has no skills to speak of in brokering, but neither does anyone else. He killed two in the Assault.

Rith Adilanam, Another miner. She has no kills, but has seen so much carnage that she no longer feels anything at death. She is a competent swordsdwarf with no wounds to speak of.

Our mayor Usbu Otdaarstruk, 23 years old, very young. She dreams of ruling the world. So we'll see how well her ambitions go. I am thinking of following her life quite closely. She will soon be given the nicest quarters.

Delur Oltelrasdug, our metalcrafter and the new primary smith. She killed one in the Assault. She dreamed of mastering a skill and was the creator of the artifact the elves attempted to steal.

Feb Zulbanbekom, The Champion of our fort, named so just before the Assault, and lived up to her title with 8 kills. She is our jeweler and also a great fighter and teacher. She dreams of raising a family but has no lovers currently at 80 years old. Quite a sad thing.

Dishmab Idenstul, our manager and bookkeeper. She dreams of mastering a skill.  She is a competent stonecrafter and therefore is put in charge of creating trade goods, hopefully so that she can fulfill that dream.

Onget Keskalluslem Desishmos Elcur, five notable kills have earned her that title. She dreams of raising a family but has been under a lot of stress lately. At 35 years old she has plenty of natural time, however.

Adil Umatsholig, our engraver, currently attending to medical needs under our CMD, He desires to raise a family, and has raised a single son, our resident Lost Stalker. His wife is dead now.

Olon Kastarnokim, Our Chief Medical Dwarf. She is strangely completely blissful, despite dead bodies clogging the doorways and having lost several patients. She is also in charge of our farms. She dreamed of raising a family and has four children, three daughters and one son. Her husband passed long before she came to the fort.

There are also two children and an elf dancer that are citizens of our fort.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 05:10:26 pm »

So, in surprising news, the elves sent a caravan. Hope you tree hugging bastards enjoy corpses!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 05:59:09 pm »

Lovely 3 posts, telling the classic tale of loyalty cascade leads to !!fun!!. Did you experience the usual season (or thereabouts) long break in migrant waves, after the slaughter?

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 07:24:33 pm »

Lovely 3 posts, telling the classic tale of loyalty cascade leads to !!fun!!. Did you experience the usual season (or thereabouts) long break in migrant waves, after the slaughter?

So far no. I am now up to 23 Dorfs. I still have over a hundred corpses laying around and many many cabinets and chests to place after tantruming dwarves toppled a ton of them. Sadly, it will be a few days before I can write any updates. I am buried in writing a RESTful API for my final project for school

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 08:01:49 pm »

Loving your story, shall watch with great interest.

I've taken to chaining war dogs (and in one case a falcon) next to each pedestal, so there is always something watching the artifacts. In a previous fort, I had animals stabled in the artifact room, but they didn't see the artifact stolen as they would roam the room and not always see what was going on. The chaining method needs more testing. So far, several dogs have been seen sitting on the artifacts, but no artifact has been stolen. Of course that might change.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 08:21:25 pm »

Update while I wait on assistance from an instructor:

Dishmab, our manager/bookkeeper has been elected as Mayor of the fortress. She continually complains that her study room is not good enough despite having two masterwork silver statues, weapon rack and Armor stand in the room and many engravings. I am guessing that the issue is that she is also assigned the study of the bookkeeper/manager in addition to the Mayor's study.

While I was doing my programming I was letting Dwarf Fortress generate a map that I intend to use as the basis for a DnD campaign. The map is huge and even my AlienWare computer is taking a while to generate this map. Will be experimenting with it once I can.

Question: How do I upload screenshots to this thing??? I want people to see the utter disaster that is this fort

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 08:34:08 pm »

Question: How do I upload screenshots to this thing??? I want people to see the utter disaster that is this fort

I don't think you can. You have to upload them to an external site (imgur seems to work) and link them from here.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 04:59:53 am »

So, in surprising news, the elves sent a caravan. Hope you tree hugging bastards enjoy corpses!

Knowing how elven culture usually is, I bet they'll take the corpses but grumble about them not being fresh.
(Can you actually trade corpses? Are they worth anything?)

I don't think you can. You have to upload them to an external site (imgur seems to work) and link them from here.

Yes, file uploads seem entirely disabled for the forums. Why is that? There's clearly no problem with hosting half a terabyte of data on the official file depot, why disallow images? It should be possible to set a tiny upload limit (e.g. 100kb) so only game screenshots and profile icons fit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 06:39:57 am »

Yes, file uploads seem entirely disabled for the forums. Why is that? There's clearly no problem with hosting half a terabyte of data on the official file depot, why disallow images? It should be possible to set a tiny upload limit (e.g. 100kb) so only game screenshots and profile icons fit.

Maybe security reasons? Or could be bandwidth of occasional downloads versus constant loading of images.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 06:41:31 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 05:54:33 pm »

It's just always been this way. Wasn't unusual, when the forums started up, and now we're all used to having to host the art ourselves somewhere else. I don't mind it, personally. Seems to prevent unnecessary overposting of memes.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 01:44:08 pm »

So to start this week's nonsense, I had a flock...Is that the right word? a flock of kea people try to steal some stuff and they ran into Kogan, the lost stalker. I have taken to calling him Yeetikus, because he has a habit of gesturing and the enemy target just flies off, parts of their bodies exploding into gore or being jammed into unrecognizable masses. That's good sir. Give those thieves a proper welcome to this fortress of the damned.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 01:48:07 pm »

Shortly after the Kea people incident, Obe Venevuinira, the only Elfish citizen we had, was found dead, contorted in fear. The dwarves haven't encountered this occurrence. But we are fairly certain it has to do with a ghost of some sort. Be patient you phantasms. We're burying you as quickly as we can. There's just so many of you!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 08:41:44 pm »

Dwarf me as the Chief Medical Dwarf, renamed to "Sal", the um female (?) version of my name. Much like the Salmeuk from Smallhands, this Sal has been through a lot and obviously is above all the daily stresses that affect lesser dwarves.

When showing off a fortress, I like to take a .gif showing off each Z-level in succession, like this brand new map I wanted to share a while back:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I use the portable program ScreenToGif with good success. You might try the same if you care to learn the process. Otherwise, screens are simple prntscrn ---> paste into paint, edit down for the forums and then post to Imgur. I also save backups because all hosts die.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 10:47:05 pm »

Pardon me for asking, but, doesn’t this belong in DF Community Games and Stories?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.