Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips for off screen army success  (Read 2375 times)

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tips for off screen army success
« on: May 26, 2021, 06:51:58 pm »

I’ve created an outpost deep in goblin territory with the intention of one day razing their capital, Youthcurse.

What strategies have you learned to ensure your success on the battlefield off screen? And how can I effectively whittle down the strength in their capital to be able to destroy it?

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for off screen army success
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 06:23:35 pm »

Standard training to Legendary +5 skills, of course.

High tactician on squad leader. I believe you gain tactician skill through practice, so...start sending your squad off.

Then repeat ad nauseum.

Your dwarves, if trained to L+5, are basically untouchable, so even the poor tactics from the first few times won't be too big of a deal.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 03:19:56 am »

Note that conquest of minor settlements essentially costs you the whole squad as they remain as occupation forces, and you can recall only very few of them (about 1 per full squad). Thus, avoid conquests unless you have a high rate of recruiting.

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 06:31:46 am »

The poster above is right. Also, if you Raze a settlement completely, it will almost certainly be taken over by someone else VERY quickly. In my experience, the surest way to conquer without losing elite soldiers is first sending ONE elite squad to raze or sack (this will deplete the enemy population, but usually not completely) then sending a squad or two of untrained peasants to demand surrender/conquer. It's a tedious method, but I haven't found a better one.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 07:27:41 am »

For harder targets, use a lot of war animals.
First you can use your own dogs.
With some luck your raids will bring you stronger beasts to fight.
Not just the soldiers, but also their equipment disappear fast after sending them to conquer other locations.
I started to use the entertainers for conquest, as they came in too big numbers anyway.