Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Luck of Standardauburn (Legendary immigrants)  (Read 1135 times)

Urist McSober

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Luck of Standardauburn (Legendary immigrants)
« on: May 13, 2021, 01:16:26 pm »

First immigrants:
Legendary Animal Trainer, Trapper, Animal Dissector, and Crossbowman, also has Professional in 5 of the social skills (Negotiator, Judge of Intent, etc.)
Legendary Animal Dissector and High Master Consoler, also has Expert in 3 other social skills
Legendary Weaponsmith, Expert in 5 social skills
Legendary Stone Crafter, Expert Critical Thinker and Expert Student
Legendary Stone Crafter,  Talented Mechanic, Professional Student, Professional Intimidator, Expert Optics Engineer, and Grand Master Conversationalist and Consoler
And a Farmer with no Growing skill, and Adequate in Milker, Herbalist, Miller, and Bonecarver. Best skill is being a Competent Spearman

Is this at all reasonable for the first immigrants to a fortress?

Also, fortress has caves underneath. They are filled with silver. Couple hundred tiles minimum, and the cave isn't even flooded. The game wants me to become overconfident.
Mine collapse? What mine collapse?

Urist McSober

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Luck of Standardauburn (Legendary immigrants)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 01:30:34 pm »

And now one of my dwarves has created a masterwork iron pick. Also, it turns out that a visitor has an Artifact spear.
Mine collapse? What mine collapse?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 06:42:50 pm »

Well, the immigrants apparently heard just how rich you are (roleplayingwise) I do find that good mines seem to magically attract better smiths, but it could be coincidence.

Be careful though, all that silver will make you wealthy, and then you'll get raided. If you get any useless immigrants, teach them the ways of the spear and shield (or silver war hammer and shield), and make sure they're daylight-acclimated.... And if you want to keep those caverns, then walling them off is not that impossible a task, consider it as an option against the Forgotten beasts, or just the inconvenient beasts. "Urist McSilverminer has been kicked to death by elk birds" is not an impossible thing to happen.

If you're also lucky enough to have an aquifer, a flowing foot bath between the entrance to the silvermine caverns of wonder and your fort can lead to certain successes in surviving forgotten beast dust.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 03:42:35 am »

It looks incredibly lucky, unless those are migrants from a previous fortress (as a lot of the migrants tend to come from previous fortresses if there are any).

Just enjoy it and consider it some compensation for all the waves of dorfs with crappy stats, crappy skills, and horrible traits you no doubt have received in the past.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 01:53:17 pm »

It's not bad.  I generally would be sneering at the rangers and social skills myself, but we all have our preferences.  At least the smith is good, and there's some starting potential for a military.

Silver is kind of meh.  Start with making warhammers out of it, silver's no good for edged weapons, but makes for decent blunts.  Otherwise, it's mostly good for crafts and even then they'll be worth less than gold.  But gold is even worse than silver early because it drives up you fort value faster, and can't be made into weapons or armor.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 03:36:17 pm »

I just love making furniture out of silver, and plating everything with silver. It's not much of a military grade metal, but a few silver weapon racks and tables, and silver-plated green glass goblets are excellent for morale. Plus with those, you can then purchase any weapons or armour you need from the traders.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 01:02:03 pm »

I've been using platinum and aluminum for furniture in my current fort.  It quickly boosts the value of the temples and guildhalls.  If I have gold, I'll use the silver to make electrum and have more valuable swag.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath