Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-Race Fortress Weaponry  (Read 1355 times)

Smoothbrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multi-Race Fortress Weaponry
« on: May 02, 2021, 01:59:54 pm »

I'm building a fortress in which I primarily have a large humanoid necromancer experiment population... Which kind of weapons are best for larger creatures? or does it not make a difference?

aka

Would a creature's size impact the damage done by blunt weapons over edged weapons etc.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Race Fortress Weaponry
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 03:40:48 pm »

Larger creatures can more easily equip foreign made two handed weapons like mauls, halberds, or two handed swords.  The problem is that since they are foreign made, they likely won't have high quality levels, and probably won't be made of steel either.  But if you can find a masterwork steel two handed weapon, those would probably work best.

Size and strength impact combat damage in general, but I don't know if that affects slashing/piercing/blunt damage in different proportions.

Don't forget that larger creatures need larger, custom made armor.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 07:00:51 pm »

Probably too late now, but before you generate your next world, if you have similar plans, it's a fairly simple process to add a bunch of 'foreign' weapons to the list of those your dwarves can make.  You can always just refuse to craft them if you want to keep more of a vanilla experience in that same world.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 01:09:51 pm »

Non-dorf weaponry in my forts usually only matters when I have mercenaries, and I put mercs in their own separate unit where they're assigned weapon of their choice.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath