Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it just me, or...?  (Read 1451 times)

Harald387

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it just me, or...?
« on: February 02, 2007, 09:37:00 am »

Am I simply lucky when it comes to attacks from the river, chasm, and even magma? I can frequently hit the magma river by early autumn of year 1; I can't remember the last time I saw an attack from the river, and I can almost always fill the chasm with magma before I see more than the odd large rat or single giant mole.

It's a good thing, too; I don't maintain a military until much, much later in the game, and I don't even build early stonefall traps on the riverbank. Any serious attack would probably wipe my fortress, or at the least do serious damage...

I've never even *seen* a siege, despite some fortresses hitting the 10-year mark. Admittedly, I treat the caravans well (always letting them make a serious profit - it's a good way to get rid of clutter).

Am I simply doing something *too well*, here?  It's nice to have my dwarves living happy lives of peace, and all, but I feel like I'm missing out...

-K"H"S

[ February 02, 2007: Message edited by: Harald387 ]

"I will answer fealty with fealty, protection with protection, justice with justice, and oathbreaking with vengeance, so help me God"

-David Weber, "Field of Dishonor"

Rakoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me, or...?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 11:04:00 am »

Interestingly, I haven't had TOO much come out of my river on my big fortress (Eight years and counting! ... at least, anyway, I don't know the exact number.)  I use to get froghmen and the occasional lizardmen slinking out, every now and then... But it seems that once I crossed the river, even that stopped.  The chasm was entirely quiet - Until I made a channel from the magma flow, and now I get crazy batmen blowers flittering out every so often to die a horrible and sometimes messy death at the mechanical hands of (<long> ) times 3, and stone-fall, traps.  The only risk here is if they accost a dwarf trying to cross the bridge... Already lost a dwarf that way (Less to the batman, more to the falling.)

The magma, on the other hand, seems to spit out three-five fire men a year... And they're usually of the named variety.  -That- sucks, due to their fireballs.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 12:04:00 pm »

i think river and chasm attacks came much more frequently in earlier versions of the game.  i too have noticed a significant drop off in river attacks.

Chasm attacks come more frequently if you drop your refuse into the chasm.  i tend not to magma the chasm, because i like the renewable resources that come from there.

seiges (from goblins) depend on wither or not you are close to goblins, how hostile your map region is, or if any of them can actually reach you at all.

seiges from trading races depend on wither you intentionally piss them off, or if goblins happen to kill their caravan while theyre visiting.

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 01:04:00 pm »

I have found when you add some 10 odd large serrated disk traps at each bridge attacks seem to not come to frequently anymore. Maybe they recall how Ed Ratman was made into 10 different pieces by the blades of doom. Or perhaps when said pieces were returned to the chasm floor from whence he came with many squishy noises. One fortress I had (before I dicovered the usefullness of traps) was completely overrun by ratmen by year 4. Now I hate ratmen and all that they stand for. I'm looking into developing ratman catapult fodder.

Rakoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 02:44:00 pm »

Well, if you want to talk about external attacks... That's another matter.

Them darn gobbos don't know when to stop come Winter, though I'll admit that they messed me up good this last siege.  They actually -acted- like a siege... Clumping up in front of my cave entrance without coming in for a good, long time, instead of coming inside where it's nice and warm and due to a five by six row of deadly traps, lethal.

Damn gobbos.  Damn trolls.  Damn Steve Allen!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »

heh. ratmen catapult.  i can see it:

code:
OOOOOOO###OOOOOOO
...==>^===^<==...
...==>^===^<==...
...==>^===^<==...
OOOOOOO###OOOOOOO

O Wall
# Chasm
^ presure plate trap
==> Bridge raising right
<== Bridge raising left
=== Bridge retracting

in theory, this would catapult ratmen leaving the chasm back over the chasm to splat into the other raised bridge, and slide down into the crack.

in practice, i think thrown creatures fly through bridges.  but it should still be fun.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 06:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>heh. ratmen catapult.  i can see it:

code:
OOOOOOO###OOOOOOO
...==>^===^<==...
...==>^===^<==...
...==>^===^<==...
OOOOOOO###OOOOOOO

O Wall
# Chasm
^ presure plate trap
==> Bridge raising right
<== Bridge raising left
=== Bridge retracting

in theory, this would catapult ratmen leaving the chasm back over the chasm to splat into the other raised bridge, and slide down into the crack.

in practice, i think thrown creatures fly through bridges.  but it should still be fun.</STRONG>

Better yet, ratman particle accelerator:

code:

OOOOOOO###OOOOOOO
==<==<==<==<==...
==<==<==<==<==...
==<==<==<==<==...
OOOOOOO###OOOOOOO

Extend all the way to your front gates, and link every bridge to a single lever. Put "pull lever" on repeat.

(The only problem that I can think of is that dwarves and merchants are going to walk on the device as well.)

Alternatively, you could build one of these devices as a conveyor belt, conveniently flinging ratman bones into your refuse stockpile.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 03:05:00 am »

This could be useful for transporting stuff across the fortress if you could make stockpiles on bridges. (Would make disposing of trash easier too)

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 08:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>in practice, i think thrown creatures fly through bridges.</STRONG>

Do they? In that case:

code:

OOOOOOO###OOOOOOO
...===^===^===...
...===^===^===...
...vvv^===^vvv...
OOO---O###O---OOO
OOO~~~O###O~~~OOO
OOO~~~O###O~~~OOO
OOO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>to lava
OOOOOOO###OOOOOOO

So that the bridges throw south into pools of magma blocked off by bridge-walls (---).

It could be rigged up a number of different ways... like you could have a loose elephant or two in each cell as opposed to magma...

Edit: Messed up tags...

[ February 03, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 12:08:00 am »

Aye mate ye be a lucky lad, i be in t' year 1064 n' i've seen a'hundred ratmen come 'n die by t' hands of my dwarves. I never had a siege but alot o' me dwarves went t' Davy Jones' locker from t' ratmen of the chasm.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 01:51:00 am »

You know, all of these trap-laden entryways make me wonder if Toady is ever going to make it so traps block passages for dwarves.  A dwarf wouldn't be stupid enough to step into a trap (it'd be marked in some way), but   I can't imagine dwarves are such excellent engineers that they can produce traps capable of accurately identifying the actual person or animal standing in them. =)

"Good evening, Ashal Metalfoot."
"Good evening, Torom Friendskies."
"Good evening, 'Frisky' Friendskies."
"Good evening, Oddom Earthenbudded."
"Good-- INTRUDER!  INTRUDER!"

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 04:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>"Good evening, Ashal Metalfoot."
"Good evening, Torom Friendskies."
"Good evening, 'Frisky' Friendskies."
"Good evening, Oddom Earthenbudded."
"Good-- INTRUDER!  INTRUDER!"</STRONG>

XD, but it's just that the dwarves simply are taught where to step and where not.

Thanks to a six-tile long row of traps at my entrance, the best I've gotten out of goblin attacks is a lot of blood, some vomits and free metal items and bones   :D

Actually, I haven't even noticed it until I've peeked at my 7x7 bone stockpile and found it completely full <_<

And there's another thing. I'm right now flooding the chasm with magma for about six months straight and still no attack, although I have one squad constantly on watch of my chasm bridge (which is also trapped). A shame, I just set up a squash trap corridor next to it and want to see how it works >_>

[ February 05, 2007: Message edited by: krige ]

Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.