Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can Anything Be Done About the Thieving Problem?  (Read 3532 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can Anything Be Done About the Thieving Problem?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 08:56:16 am »

Yeah, I've been missing the mercenaries myself.  Monster hunters don't seem to be any more than a food and booze vacuum.  What good are long term performer residents?  I haven't seen them do anything more than serve booze in my tavern, and eventually they just end up becoming little more than a long term common laborer.  I don't know how much has been adjusted in their behavior, because I stopped using them.  I understand that poisoners tavern keepers were fixed in 47.03 and actually have some functions beyond serving drinks.

Anyway, in the fort I'm currently running, I haven't seen much more than performers and some monster hunters show up, and at least one performer was up to no good.  There's a party of armed dwarves and humans that just crashed in my fort, but they seem to be looking for some artifact.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 01:22:49 pm »

Wait a second, stop the press; after six years my current fort actually just had its first honest visitor. Jasro Drilldestined, a Human Poet, just entered the tavern and as far as I can tell she really is who she claims she is, and apparently she really is here only to perform. So it is possible in .47.05 after all!

I'm imagining my militia finally managed to thin the massed ranks of infiltrators surrounding my fortress enough for real visitors to get through.

EDIT: Right on her heels came in Nish Wheeldot, a Bard, who apparently is also a real entertainer without any sinister plots behind him. Artists seem to be like buses: you wait for six years and then two come along at once.
Something may also have changed after fifty or so dead infiltrators; haven't seem any of them as well for a month now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:49:35 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 09:59:33 am »

Still no mercs, but hey, we got a kobold furnace operator death zombie to show up!

Which really seems like an awfully long-winded way of saying "target practice" to me.

Fortressdeath

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 04:41:04 am »

Apparently killing enough infiltrators really did allow regular visitors to get through. For the last two years I've also sent squads on razing missions to knock out necro towers, bandit hideouts and other known places of villainy; this has reduced the number of incoming thieves to nearly zero.

Now my tavern is a happy place filled with traveling minstrels instead of shambling undead criminals trying to corrupt my dwarves.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Thon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2021, 07:58:17 am »

I started a 3 strikes approach to thieving visitors. I'll let you know how it turns out in the long run. First strike, jail, strip release into wild. Second strike, jail, strip, release into caves.
Third strike, I make them a statue.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2021, 08:52:02 am »

Three strikes?

I've implemented a policy whereby ALL visitors get questioned by the captain of the guard (except for the trading caravans and diplomats), and those that confess to being up to no good are summarily executed by my army and any dwarf corrupted takes a beating.

Fortressdeath

Thon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2021, 11:52:52 am »

It lets me interrogate more and gives me another chance to figure out the organisation chain. I'm planning to build a dwarven adventurer hitsquad later and I need more names.

I mean, it's an artifact and all but I really don't understand why people are sending men after men to grab a giant spider silk thong.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2021, 05:39:21 pm »

It lets me interrogate more and gives me another chance to figure out the organisation chain.

Does that actually work? I thought the plots said "Somebody" because Toady hadn't finished it yet.

Does it require new crimes, or can you just keep hauling them in for interrogation?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Thon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2021, 08:01:42 am »

It's a bit hit or miss. I don't think they can implicate their bosses if they are not in the map.
But it does show me how the command chain goes and I know which artifact they are after. I know the names of the usual suspects that way, so they get interrogated immediately lets me see if the command chain has more goons and by chance if I have two agents from the same organisation, others get implicated as well on other stuff (Espionage and whatnot)

I think when they run out of goons, bosses themselves show up. I have one organisation where boss is now an obsidian statue next to the artifact they plotted to steal. Another organisation where I don't know the boss or other two assets but she's the sole underling.

I have another which is active and I have the boss identified.

Artifact theft wise, I have noticed several things. Cover story determines where the exchange will happen. Last patch, I noticed one exchange with a 'goblin farmer' happening in the fields. So far everything seems to happen in the inn. Had a goblin fish cleaner I decided to randomly interrogate so didn't get a chance to observe what happened with that one. The covers I have seen this update so far are "Fish cleaner", "Lady", "head advisor".

My only inn is deep in the mountain, has an airlock style enterance with an office for captain accessible from the airlock. Usually I just lock the inn door, move captain to office, lock it behind him and let him interrogate without fear people will run away.

Place is well stocked with booze and food so people don't seem to mind lockdowns that much.

Thon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2021, 08:06:27 am »

Oh before I forget, if you want to deal with this with justice/interrogation way, It's a good idea to have your captain wear decent armor and be competent in combat. I have seen them resist arrest once and had to assign a new captain because old one was in the hospital and funny enough the criminal was still going on with the plot ( Even though I discovered it before the theft )
Pages: 1 [2]