Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Work Order conditions for dye powder  (Read 1835 times)

crunchyFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Work Order conditions for dye powder
« on: March 25, 2021, 05:09:09 pm »

Hello,
I'm drowning in dimple dye and want a work condition to activate only if there are less than 10 dimple-cup dye powders.

I have a dedicated quern for milling dimple cups and a decicated dimple cup dye output stockpile linked to it.  (and input stockpiled for bags and dimple cups).  I also have similar arragements for the other three types of dye.

On http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Dye it is written:
Bag contents are not recognized in the manager's work order conditions. As a workaround, referencing the dye bags is advised: item type 'boxes and bags', trait 'dye item'.

So if I do that my work order condition is dye boxes and bags available is less than 10, and then Not satisfied....
If I Change material to Dimple Dye the condition becomes dye dimple dye chests... less than 10, Satisfied.

So, my questions:
Does the advice in the wiki work when there are multiple dyes?
Why does adding a material condition make the condition satisfied?

thanks!

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Work Order conditions for dye powder
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 06:25:01 pm »

Are we sure that wiki is correct?

I've never used boxes and bags, and my dye orders seem to work just fine.

Also my kitchen orders work OK with just bags of quarry bush leaves (different problem with those, since you can't specify "xx stacks of xx", entire stacks get cooked as one ingredient...)

crunchyFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 07:18:40 pm »

So... what does your dye work order look like, with all the conditions etc.? 
I'd love to see it.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 07:55:06 pm »

If I Change material to Dimple Dye the condition becomes dye dimple dye chests... less than 10, Satisfied.
Why does adding a material condition make the condition satisfied?
I would guess it's because you're specifying "(bags/chests made of dimple dye) which contain any dye" rather than "any bags/chests which contain (dye made of dimple dye)".

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 01:17:23 am »

The Mill Plants job is one of the jobs that doesn't allow you to set the 'p'roduct condition to see what it outputs (it creates Powder items made of specific materials. In 'j' 'm' 'q', add a job for Dye Thread, then set 'c'onditions 'r'egeants. You will see that it needs "unrotten Dye Items". So your Mill Plants order needs an unspecific item, with 'm'aterial="Dye" and 't'rait="Dimple dye". That said, you probably can set 'i'tem="powder", but I am not sure, and I am fairly sure that you don't need to specify "unrotten" since dyes do not rot or take many years to rot...

If you have not noticed, the Mill Plant job may appear to "count available items" incorrectly, because one Mill plants job will mill the entire stack of the plant (using 1 to 5 dimple cups). I set the jobs to something like "mill 5 plants when there are at least 25 plants available" to avoid cancellations.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.