Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retiring a Fortress during a disaster  (Read 838 times)

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Retiring a Fortress during a disaster
« on: February 19, 2021, 03:26:47 pm »

I haven't played DF for about 5 years and I recently started a fort that ended up with a severe werebeast infestation. After the population dropped from 45 to 21 in the span of a few minutes I decided to retire the fortress despite the ongoing werebeast apocalypse. How does this affect the fort?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Retiring a Fortress during a disaster
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 04:21:59 pm »

I left a fort to its own devices when full of werebeasts once, and started a fort very nearby. After all, it had good metals down there, why not try to make a different steel-producing fort? And also I thought the original fort would fall soon due to werebeasts. It didn't. The number of werebeast migrants was somewhat an issue. We soon had a series of quarantine rooms for the migrants. Otherwise, business as usual.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 02:17:22 pm »

Ok, Well I guess If I make a new fortress it should be set far away then.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 07:02:33 pm »

Ok, Well I guess If I make a new fortress it should be set far away then.

Unless there is no path to the original fort, distance isn't really the biggest factor.  Your fortress members are historical figures, and so they will be among those with a high chance of being selected to migrate.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare