Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Few Questions.  (Read 987 times)

juu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Few Questions.
« on: January 21, 2007, 03:32:00 am »

I've just started with the game. The most annoying thing seems to be that every time I get something done, like finished the bedroom or dining room, the cavern collapses and half o' me crew die. Well, I didn't mind it at first. But the very next day some mandrill start creeping around me fortress. So my questions are adressed to those players whom have more experience 'bout the game. What can I do? every single fortress that i've made has collapsed. I've made a pilar per every 7x7 room but it still keeps collapsing and killing me dwarfs. Thank you.

Harald387

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Few Questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

Generally, you should dig individual bedrooms rather than a single large one - unless you're building a barracks, your dwarves will be happier with their own rooms.

That said, a 7x7 room with a pillar shouldn't collapse. I prefer to leave undug sections rather than build supports, as supports can conceivably be torn down. Supports also prevent me from building a farm that overlaps them (annoying) and can't be decorated by my legendary Engravers.

My farms look like this:

| - wall
X - floodgate
. - floor
= - water
_ - channel
D - door

code:

||||||||||||||||||||||||||
==X______X.......|.......|
==...|...|.......|.......|
==.......|.......|.......|
==.......|...|.......|...|
==...|...||||||||||||D||||
==........................

I haven't had a cave-in in ages.

-K"H"S

"I will answer fealty with fealty, protection with protection, justice with justice, and oathbreaking with vengeance, so help me God"

-David Weber, "Field of Dishonor"

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 05:44:00 pm »

The game looks for any complete, unsupported 7x7 square, and then collapses it. There is no explanation, other than a bug, that you would have a cave-in from something other than a 7x7 (or greater) square within a room. Post pics if you're completely stumped.
he Dwarf Fortress Blog is now up and running, albeit ugly and empty. Do your part, and email stories, worlds, and mod files to dasuberalt@yahoo.com

I''ll put it up on the blog, and give you credit.

http://dwarffortressblog.blogspot.com/

OldMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 01:37:00 pm »

Also note that uilding a support only marks the place where the support should be, and it shows up for now with a grey background.  Not until a dwarf with the masonry skill actually brings the building material and constructs the support will it change to a normal transparent background and provide real support.

Easy solution: Dig 6x6 areas.

JoJo McLeod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 08:39:00 am »

Or 6 x anything...