Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tutorial : Stone Organization  (Read 2326 times)

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorial : Stone Organization
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 08:36:00 pm »

I just use these guidelines:
Stone management guide (from the Wiki)
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 09:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sphr:
<STRONG>@Wiles @Red Jackard
Locked doors has one shortcoming : you can't continue to accumlate stones of other types while your workshop is acting on one.  by relying on only distance, the other stockpiles are still available to store other stones lying around.</STRONG>

I can live with this.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Miminini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 10:00:00 pm »

Saves headaches on needing to reclaim hundreds of stones, not to mention dump hundreds of stones.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Miminini:
<STRONG>Saves headaches on needing to reclaim hundreds of stones, not to mention dump hundreds of stones.</STRONG>

:?:

Reclaim is easy - just select it from the D menu, click on the dump, and yer done.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2007, 04:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Miminini:
<STRONG>Saves headaches on needing to reclaim hundreds of stones, not to mention dump hundreds of stones.</STRONG>
... And dumping is made much easier with macros.  See Macro utilites section on the Wiki.   (Basicially, download AutoHotKey and see
Jackard's wiki page)

[ December 01, 2007: Message edited by: Fedor ]

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 02:49:00 am »

@Wolfius
That sounds like a good idea.  I'm working out a variant that sort of utilitizes that idea so that I don't have to manually activate/deactivate the garbage status.  currently, I'm using something like

new storage level:

code:

WWWWWWWWWWW
WAaaa.bbbBW
Waaaa.bbbbW
Waaaa.bbbbW
WaaaW+WbbbW
W...+X+...W
WcccW+WdddW
Wcccc.ddddW
Wcccc.ddddW
WCccc.dddDW
WWWWWWWWWWW

W = wall
A,B,C,D = dumps for 4 rock types
a,b,c,d = stockpile for 4 rock types
+ = door
. - space

The main changes I make is to zone the open space separating the stockpiles as low traffic, to ensure that when things in stockpile are dumped, they end up in the "correct" dump.

so the current "features" are:
1. no usual need to manually change garbage zone status.
2. easy to "empty" or "fill" stockpile.  (I only dump stones in stockpile.  I usually let haulers haul stone of same type to fill up the stockpile before I do periodic dumps).  Filling is as easy as reclaiming the dump square and setting another empty square as dump.

To assist long distance dumping (clearing stones from a remote worksite so that you can do something about it), I first designate a temporary dump that is a short distance away from the actual sorted rock storage but closer to the remote worksite.  Then, I issue dump orders on all the stones at the remote site, which should get dumped in the temporary dump.  After the stones are clear, I removed the temporary garbage zone and reclaimed all the stones there.  As an when spaces in the sorted rock stockpiles become free, haulers will "fill it up" from the rocks at the temporary dump site.

So far, works pretty well (and greatly improved over my original design). But I'll have to observe it longer to spot any problem.  One of the more bugging things that are missing is that workshops cannot be suspended on the whole, so when manager issue jobs, they get sent to all workshops.  I have yet to see a way around this other than only relying on manual orders, sealing each workshop behind a lockable door, or wait for ToadyOne to add suspend order to entire workshops....

anyway, thanks for all the constructive input.

Pages: 1 [2]